Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Thanks
    ok so today i looked at the issues obm mentioned ,i got rid of all cable ties on throttle and choke cables and made sure there was a small amount of free play to absorb any movement , i did notice today after taking the air filter silencer box off that where there should be an insert (which reduces the air box down to the carb mouth size) somebody in the past has just used a section of large rubber pipe cut to around an inch in length to use as the reducer, part of it was deformed and obstructing the airflow slightly on one side which could have been directing the air through the carb to one side more than the other favouring the rear cylinder flooding it i guess ?,refitted without distortion until new part arrives . i never noticed it before as it stayed inside the airbox but today it fell out . so proper one on order.. also today i dropped the needle one slot and it seems to run the same temp wise .

i went for an hours flight and all was well , i let it cool down and went for another hour later and again it was good so im back to testing again ..will check plugs tomorrow for colour ..

thanks yet again guys ..
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    It is likely that the rubber 'offcut' is the OME item (they are a bodge to make the carb fit but I have seen some better than others). You have to be careful about the fitment of the 'reducer' as it can get pushed back too far/twisted/fall apart etc and it will bugger up the air flow/mixture. On that topic you should also check the intake silencer rubber mount itself (they crack and can let in air) also if you take it off the intake silencer you will see that the rubber mounting flange is not a complete 'round' (there is a flat to locate the silencer at a particular position) once again if the 'flat' is not correctly fitted it will let in air and weaken/bugger up the mixture.

Also do you have a tethering 'string' attached to the silencer??? This item is very important and is not just a means to retain the silencer from going in the prop should the silencer fall of!! Its main function is to stop the silencer carb assembly from being twisted rearwards during high accelerations (that action will cause one cylinder to get all the fuel and the other dramatically less (split egt's). To that end the tethering string should be taught on the ground resisting any rearward motion of the intake silencer.

On the topic of plugs colour etc - I have found that modern fuels do not give 'colour tune' type indications! Basically I therefore set the carb at manufacturers settings ensure no air leaks (throttle choke cable gaiters etc) and then gap the plugs (the jets and needle then sort out the mixture) if I then get 'ok' egt's then all is well!

Just occurred - is you choke cable or manual - the manual type if screwed on by a 'Gorilla' can 'puncture' the air slide tower and cause weak/variable mixture?
    Last edited by oldbaldyman; 20-06-17 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    I will look at the choke slide but it looks fine tbh. My air box silencer has two supporting steel bars bolted to the engine case so its not gonna move anywhere bud.

Thanks
    Make sure those supporting steel bars have not punctured the intake silencer? Also that they are actually doing their job (they are very prone to fracturing).
    Not choke slide the air slide tower is the main bit of the carb that is above the intake.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oldbaldyman For This Useful Post:

kawasakiinit (20-06-17)

Thanks
    had a good look around the carb today mate ,all looks well . the steel bars are bolted to the plastic air silencer and they are then epoxy glued as well which has not cracked or anything .. gonna run it again now and see what's what..

if nothing else ive learnt alot through all this with the help from you and everybody else ,cheers ...again i hope i don't have to bug you again on this lol..

Dave.
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..