Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Co-Pilot Randombloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 78 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    I understand the certification standards for motorcycle helmets but what certification standards are there for microlight helmets where there is no requirement to wear one? Could you please let us know so that we can look at the certification?
    Airsports helmets are certified to EN 966, as mentioned before. Whilst there may be no requirement to wear one, there may be législation (EU or National) that means that PPE if sold, must be certified. Microavionics and Lynx certify to EN 966, as do Icaro.

    Most of the Alphatec helmets are EN 966. Can't see anything to say the motorcycle style one is.

    Whilst there may be no legal requirement to wear a helmet, for at least one UK insurance provider, if worn it must be EN 966 or another standard, also named.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights


  2. #32
    Captain Bob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 99 Times in 77 Posts
    EN 966 is a great helmet standard, but from what I read it is designed for paraglider and hang glider pilots who tend to hit rocks when they crash, fat load of good in a microlight.
    I have an Alphatec full faced motorcycle helmet as supplied by Aircreation, a pair of white helmets with built in external ear defs also from AC, and a Flycom helmet that has protection around the earmuffs that I bought later. The Flycom is the worst thing that I have ever flown with, it is huge and very hot to wear. I don't hear much noise from the 912s behind me in any of them.
    I also own some motorbikes. One is a Ducati 848 with a pair of Worx open pipes under my bum. When riding around in my bike helmet, that has an intercom fitted, I can't hear the exhaust or the wind noise. I can hear the intercom with no problems. My main bike helmet is a Schuberth C3 it had great all round visibility, would be no good on a sportsbike without it.
    There is nothing wrong with anyone putting the intercom into a bike helmet and using that. Choose one with good all round visibility, as most of them have from at least 20 years ago, and fit the same ear pieces as bikers do on their bikes that generate wind and engine noise and you can't go wrong.
    Don't let anyone else tell you what to do as whatever you wear there is no obligation to wear an EN 966 helmet and that certification is not a microlight specific one.


  3. #33
    Co-Pilot Randombloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 78 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    My main bike helmet is a Schuberth C3 it had great all round visibility, would be no good on a sportsbike without it.
    We'll agree to differ, then, the Schuberth C3 is the worse piece of overpriced crap I have ever owned as a motorcycle helmet, and I've had a few....

    Same with helmet standards, we'll agree to differ.... for microlights in France and the UK no helmet or standard of same is mandatory, as you say. Outside of flex wings (and numbers are going down, not up) here in the UK the majority insurer mandates EN 966 via the association rules and regs for foot launched power. In a fair few other European countries some sort of EN compliance is required. So, because the biggest market for the helmets you speak is not flex pilots, and there is no flex pilot standard, they are certified to most appropriate and closest standard.

    The working groups provide expertise and set criteria, and this is how EN standards are arrived at. However, as Michael Gove tells us: "People have had enough of experts". Apart from your anecdotal evidence of a Ducati with illegal pipes, have you actually got any evidence or facts against any of the standards accepted for free flying, bearing in mind that some of the Air Création helmets you use, and the vast majority of the ones they sell are certified to EN 966?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights


  4. #34
    Captain Bob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 99 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    Apart from your anecdotal evidence of a Ducati with illegal pipes,
    Wow you are so full of yourself that you are even an expert of the noisy pipes on my bike now. Just another wrong assumption by you, they are legal.
    Funny how many police forces and even F1 race drivers rate the Schuberth as the top helmet, but as you don't like it then it is rubbish. never let facts get in the way of your opinion.


  5. #35
    Captain Bob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 99 Times in 77 Posts
    Don't worry folks you can modify your own bike helmet to use in your aircraft, it is still a free world. I very much doubt that "most insurance companies" would ban you from doing that, and nor can anyone on this forum.


  6. #36
    Co-Pilot Randombloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 78 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Don't worry folks you can modify your own bike helmet to usein your aircraft, it is still a free world. I very much doubt that"most insurance companies" would ban you from doing that,and nor can anyone on this forum.

    You've been given an example of where being insured requires you fly with an approved helmet. It's a UK example, and IIRC you're in France, but an English language forum with UK based membership. Most insurance companies don't give a toss until there is a chance to wriggle out of a claim. One has a rule that is required for the insurance to be active.

    Nobody on this forum can ban anyone from doing anything, but that was never suggested, so it is just a "straw man" argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Wow you are so full of yourself that you are even an expertof the noisy pipes on my bike now. Just another wrong assumption byyou, they are legal..

    Open pipes don't comply with any noise testing legislation. It has been hard to get motorcycles to comply with the law, exhausts have become complicated, and successive generations of motorcycles have got quieter. After market exhausts are a different matter, there is the method by which they acquire their stamp, is it independent laboratory or self certified, plus the myriad other blags like stamped cans with removable baffles which again don't comply with baffles not present.

    If your bike is French registered, there is no MOT (contrôle technique) for motorcycles, so no one will refuse your vehicle permission to be on the road because of a noisy exhaust, small number plate or worn bearings. If not, then it’s good you can find someone to sign it off. Enforcement of the myriad laws in France is sporadic. But if motorcycles ever become mainstream transport again (as opposed to toys for people pretending to be Power Rangers on Sunday mornings) then the laws will be enforced.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Funny how many police forces and even F1 race drivers ratethe Schuberth as the top helmet, but as you don't like it then it isrubbish. never let facts get in the way of your opinion.

    "Police forces and even F1 drivers rate the Schuberth" - that's just marketing.

    The DfT SHARP consumer information initiative tests and rates helmets for safety. This is testing, so could be argued t be objective.

    As you can see here:

    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/schuberth-c3/

    the Schuberth C3 is a very average 3 stars. There are flip up helmets available for £70 that go one star better and match the £350-ish Schuberth for 97% not opening. Now, you might say, Schuberth used to make BMW helmets, and the BMW ones score 5 stars and 100% for staying shut, but the Schuberth ones don't. Again, maybe a helmet for someone who believes marketing and rides once a week, not for someone commuting for 3 to 5 times a week, at least an hour each way. The Schuberth was initially very comfortable and quiet. But it quickly deteriorated.

    It's only a 3 star helmet – fact. With a 5 star price.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-05-17, 14:11 PM
  2. Advice for recording audio from Lynx intercom system
    By Reptile Smile in forum Microlight Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-02-16, 15:21 PM
  3. Helmets - are they interchangeable with headsets?
    By nezrobiso in forum Microlight Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-05-14, 16:18 PM
  4. Headsets and Intercom Systems- Cheap ( Air Magic)
    By daipower in forum Microlight Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-13, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-11-12, 18:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •