Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

503 gearbox temp

Hi all had a great weekend flying as i am sure you all did.. had me last gearbox service this time last year preload checked all good.. filled up with new oil done 32 hours since i noticed when i landed last night a gearbox oil smell like the oil was extremely hot and could see a lot of heat rising from the rear of the quasar it is enclosed so wont cool quite as well as an open machine but when i tried to touch the casing behind the prop it was extremely hot enough to boil spit all that tells us is over 100 c.. i felt it for movement appears to be no play and engine turns freely bearings feel ok but even after half an hour when engine was just luke warm gearbox output bearing case thill felt quite hot.. obvious checks before next flight check for leak check oil level maybe the gearbox runs hot and it was down to the 32 degrees but i would have thought it was normal for them to run much cooler than the engine... and thoughts appreciated..
    http://www.missinglinkcables.co.uk Audio Consultants & Quality Hi Fi Equipment Sherwood Forest Nottingham

Thanks
    Try some of this dude I have found it very good! mix in with oils %.

http://www.team-zx1.com/what-is-zx1.html
    I don't know I think.

Thanks
    Try one of these stick-on engine thermometers only 5 each

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACETEMP-E...QAAOSwhAZWBsXD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Get the gearbox open and take a look inside. Don't risk having the gearbox seizing mid flight. The service may have missed something. Just because it feels ok doesn't mean all is well inside.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dompech View Post
    Get the gearbox open and take a look inside. Don't risk having the gearbox seizing mid flight. The service may have missed something. Just because it feels ok doesn't mean all is well inside.
    Hi Dom thanks for the input i cant find any information on normal temperatures for type B Gearbox anybody got any idea about normal running temp for a rotax gearbox ? obviously it will vary depending on engine power but i would imagine it would be considerably cooler than the engine anybody even felt the temp of the box ?...
    http://www.missinglinkcables.co.uk Audio Consultants & Quality Hi Fi Equipment Sherwood Forest Nottingham

Thanks
    Normally in winter after a long flight, I take my gloves off and warm my hands on the gearbox, a tad hot but certainly not burning hot. 582 DCDI. trike
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Strip it down and check the bearings. That sounds very hot. Use 140 gear oil and fill to the lower check plug

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordair View Post
    Strip it down and check the bearings. That sounds very hot. Use 140 gear oil and fill to the lower check plug
    will get down the field tomorrow and have a good look thanks for all the input i am hoping that its not the crank oil seal to gearbox as i have heard this can happen and the engine burns the gearbox oil.. guess we will see

i will update

Thanks
    ok got chance to drop into the strip on the way back from Raf Barkston Heath... after dipping the box with a long cable tie there appears to be on oil at all i had no major tools on me and to remove the drain bung on a quasar you need to remove the prop the exhaust and the rear cowling i will get around to this after the weekend due to commitments i have no time until then but i am fairly certain it has been burnt as there is no oil leak and the oil was renewed with fuch 75-140 fully synthetic less than 12 month ago.. i managed to wiggle a long cable tie all the way to the bottom and not a smudge of oil so i guess its time for new crank end oil seals as it has 430 hours on i might just 0 hour it just a pity its mid season but glad i spotted it before a seizure..

Thanks
    Ouch !!!!!!
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.