Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Warning Warning Warning Dont fit the lower flying wires

It would seem the PM have sent out the wrong washers with the flying wire kits they are non AN washers
    and not the correct size

Nigel
    Another day at the office

Thanks
    Also the nuts are non AN

Nigel
    Another day at the office

Thanks
    Size, yes, but do the nuts, washers or even the bolts need to be AN? In the past, Mainair did use all AN fittings, but Pegasus used commercial HT equivalents. 'R' or 'S' rated UNF imperial sized commercial hardware is equivalent to the AN spec in terms of strength, etc, but isn't so rigidly sampled and tested and doesn't usually have an audit trail (metric 8.8 rating is similar). Its other disadvantage is that the thread length is longer and isn't so accurately spec'd so you can end up with threads extending into holes.
    Can't remember what Quiks and Quantums use, but am assuming Blades and Flashes did use AN originally, so probably should continue to do so (but only to avoid a perceived 'modification'). But the use of a non AN washer and/or nut is over the top.
    Last edited by Arielarts; 04-07-17 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    I assume everyone knows not to tighten up bolts holding these terminals or thimbles too tight? The terminal needs not only to rotate on the bolt shaft, but should also allow a degree of movement back and forth, in line with the bolt shaft. This is enough to ensure that any vibration in the cable isn't relieved where it enters the terminal/Nico, but at the terminal to bolt joint.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    I assume everyone knows not to tighten up bolts holding these terminals or thimbles too tight? The terminal needs not only to rotate on the bolt shaft, but should also allow a degree of movement back and forth, in line with the bolt shaft. This is enough to ensure that any vibration in the cable isn't relieved where it enters the terminal/Nico, but at the terminal to bolt joint.
    The fitting of Nicopress is a REDUCTION of strength from 100% of the steel wire with Talurit fittings down to only 80% .
    Rear flying wires have a 'bent' set in them as they come up to the wing keel. P&Bodge have sent out new ones without the bend in them putting strain on the wire cables.

Thanks
    Just tried to fit the lower flying wires to my GT450....the new schematic has the addition of three nylon washers where my original assembly had only metal washers. The new assembly is therefore fatter as a result and the new bolts supplied are the same length meaning that they are too short and won't do up at the wing end????

Is this a farce or am I being too mean there? I suspect not....

Thanks

P&Bodge

It's sad that the experienced people who knew what they where doing have "been let-go"
    by a management who think a wire rope for a crane, is different to a wire rope used in our life supporting aeroplanes.
    A level of ignorance I feel is unsafe in their hands. Bridon wire ropes are world wide in many industries and recommend inspection of cables, not a set number of hours. Could I fly with a severely damaged cable that waits for 750hours before I discard it?

Thanks
    Sad to say I have had the same problem rear lower flying wires not bent and bolt too short . When I contacted them about this,it seems that they had been aware of this for some time. But could not be bothered to let us customers know they had made a dangerous mistake.it does not instill confidence with this company or the parts the are shipping out to us.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve912 View Post
    Sad to say I have had the same problem rear lower flying wires not bent and bolt too short . When I contacted them about this,it seems that they had been aware of this for some time. But could not be bothered to let us customers know they had made a dangerous mistake.it does not instill confidence with this company or the parts the are shipping out to us.
    The Talurit fitting should be parallel to the strands without any side loading, what you say puts strain upon the wires as it creates a bend immediately after leaving the fitting. P& Flem, say core center wires cannot be inspected, this applies to any wire cable regardless of terminal fitting and the cable can only be inspected for kinking bending or electromagnetic testing for weakness in the strands. Failure of some strands is accounted for in proof testing.

Thanks
    OMG...what a farce...glad I have not bought any yet.