Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Thanks
    Ah it's good to read the outpourings of other Victor Meldrews, my nieces and nephews and other slightly attached humans are constantly on the bloody electronic demons in their hands spending time telling the world and their miserable contacts how great a night they are having, how can it be so great if you are spending your time looking at a soddin screen and missing the real life events that unfold before your very eyes ??? "I'm at a party, it's great" .... no it aint cos if it were you wouldn't have your nose nailed to the chuffin apple thing. "my friends and I are have such a fantastic time" .... no you aint, they are boring the **** off you and that's whey you are relating to that flamin (nearly swore) keyboard in your hands. You sit at the dinner table all with tech. in your deformed mitts typing to each other at the same fuffing table, not in our house you don't cos I'll put the buggers in the microwave. May the lord, who ever you perceive him, or her, to be, have mercy on the the sad, depressed, incapable creatures we are sure to become, and should there, by chance, be a power cut, we will surely die.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    I don't have any idea of how f'book works, only that it consumes people no end. I did almost get an account once, a long long time ago but the details they needed about me were really intrusive. I think they even wanted to know my inside leg measurement!
    More recently, I thought about it again and just in the nick of time, someone sent me this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39947942
    Now there is absolutely no chance of me signing up before hell freezes over! (The same goes for the others previously mentioned). For me, the Forum works just fine and I have no burning desire to go elsewhere to become one of those permanently with a phone in my hand. Putting a different slant on things, the number of servers must be multiplying exponentially and consuming all that energy - for what?

Thanks
    I have a mate who must be right up there with the best of them he posted about 3 pictures and a video when we were in the air a couple of weeks ago LOL
    fly high fly safe and may you always have the wind at your back
    (except when taking off or landing according to Phil )

Thanks
    Serious answer.. I think Facebook is pretty good.

It lets me keep in touch with some folk in a very superficial way, eg extended family, friends of friends, past school friends or former work colleagues, and the superficiality is perfect. I can "like" something or comment on something and thus show an interest when the reality is that I'm not really bothered but I am pleased that I can show the interest. My life isn't so busy that I resent the few seconds scrolling past drivel to smile at a friends funny photo or dislike that their dog has eaten their parrot.

Facebook groups only really work on a good level if they are selective in membership. The Public Microlight Group is so large that it will always end up as a drivel group filled with photos, videos and glib chit chat. There are some good discussions but they quickly drift off of the radar as more drivel overtakes the news feed.

I am a member of a few "Secret Groups" (I previously didn't actually realise these groups existed) where entry is by invitation only and even the Group name can't be found on a Search. It all sounds a bit dark and clandestine but these are good for in-depth and open discussions between folk who are all "connected" somehow. Suppose it's a bit like the BMAA Members section of the old BMAA forum where you had to have a membership number to get access. That's all great and good but isn't particularly open or inclusive and not much use for encouraging others to join in.

More and more things and events seem to be organised using Facebook and it is almost taken as a Gimme that everyone will get their up to date info from there. We are having a bit Fly-In at Perth later this month and I have seen more info about it being linked to or shared on Facebook than anything else. Resistance is Futile

Thanks
    Facebook has taken over from religion as "the opium of the people", as Karl Marx wrote. Just as the purpose of Sainsburys is to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose, the purpose of Facebook is to occupy the masses and stop them becoming a nuisance elsewhere.

Oh no, I'm beginning to sound like Rick Goddin! Someone help me. PLEASE!

Thanks
    Adrian .... deep breaths, calm yourself, imagine you are on a beach, the doctor is coming with a huge syringe full of "Little Ricky" anti venom

Phil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Facebook is something that you use if you want to. It does not have to consume every waking hour with informing people of what you are doing, it might do that to people who have no self control. Facebook cannot force anyone to interact more than they want to, nor can it publish all of your secrets to the world unless you post them there. It is just a tool, like any other tool, you should use it as much or as little as you want.
    The criticism of younger people who spend more time on facebook could just as easily be levelled on people who are fanatical about golf, horse riding, god, dogs or their grand children - all subjects which the rest of us find boring because we don't share their interest.
    Live and let live, no one will force you to do what you don't want to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob T For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (12-08-17)

Thanks
    Golf - A good walk ruined. Mark Twain.
    Horse riding - An extremely hazzardous pastime, and a licence to hog the roads while not paying any road tax.
    God - Unfortunately a necessary palliative for the masses.
    Dogs - like looking after a toddler that never grows up.
    Grandchildren - Why are all other peoples grandchilren so ugly and annoying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    no one will force you to do what you don't want to do.
    Aren't you married?

Thanks
    Oh soo true Paul, I do as I wish ..... as long as I have her permission. Who wears the pants ? ......... who needs to ask

Phil.