Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Wings have been clipped to their new length and chord wise tubing moved to new positions. Ailerons have been shortened and refitted. No drastic problems as of yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    That leads us to the discussion elsewhere on here about the demand for technical articles in MF
    But this is not a representative sample of the MF readership. And of course, if you want 1970s magazine layout and lots of techie articles, the LAA mag awaits...

Or purchase of any of the Darrol Stinton books......
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    And the first setback has happened. I was looking at a four stroke 3 pot Verner radial to go up front but I'm going to have to remortgage to buy it. That just isn't going to happen so now I'm a bit stuck. I really wanted to get away from the two strokes but the power range of the four strokes is a bit too much and a half vw isn't enough really. I'm not scared of the jabiru and it is a nice compact little lump but again 80 odd horses is a bit excessive.
    It's looking like my spare 462 is going to end up being the power with a Meglin prop which I have heard very good things about.
    Iv considered a Briggs but the effort Kev A went to for a bit more power was quite drastic and then it expired anyway. I am open to suggestions .... Maybe twin Polini Thors?

Thanks
    Dom,

The power is always difficult and I think in the main as we are talking below 300Kg the two stroke is sort of king unless you just want to play with the engine.

I like the idea of a twin as in the Lazair but while that is not cheap it does give you some nice options for both mounting and in the air.

Polini is a good unit but if you want to save a bit of weight in exchange for a very small drop in power any of the Italian Paramotor units would do. We are having fun with the Cisco which is imported by Nigel Beale at Skydrive which as you would expect from them comes with good technical back up and spares on the shelf. On your machine it may be a better option as you would not need the water cooling.

These engines all seem to need a settling in period usually with trouble around the carburation then perform well. You cannot compare them with any of the Rotax as they are a modern design which does lead to shorter component replacement times in the long term but well worth it for the improvements and in general cheaper to run.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dompech View Post
    ...... snip I'm not scared of the jabiru and it is a nice compact little lump but again 80 odd horses is a bit excessive.
    Dom, just because the Jabaru is rated at 80HP... THERE is no law (as far as I know) which means you HAVE to use it all.... all of the time

From my 70 years or so of flying I just KNOW which I would prefer....................... same as with my car... more power = more safety....... in most situations.
    Just takes a bit of getting used to!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wally Hayward

Thanks
    Indeed Wally I have to keep reminding myself that these figures are suggested max power not continuous...and with that in mind I believe I have a candidate motor lined up. Just need to confirm airframe weight again before making any kind of purchase.

Thanks
    As a thought Dom... have you considered electric?

Something along the lines of this maybe?

http://alienpowersystem.com/product-...-motors/200mm/

0080 Outrunner BLDC motor 50KV 45KW Paramotor

Specially developed for electric paramotor application. Silent, powerful, lightweight. This motor is capable of thrust up to 100Kg with a 42″ carbon prop. Powered by 24S 22000mah Lipo batteries
    Wally Hayward

Thanks
    I did consider this but not for now. I have some other ideas in the pipeline and electric may be the way forward for them.
    Temporary fuselage boom fitted to TST cabin and left wing fitted. All went together nicely. I must get to work on the undercarriage before I put my back out lugging this in and out the garage!