Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PTT screech

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteridms View Post
    the 3 mike wires are round the wrong way,.... I had the same troble when I made the adaptor formy Yaesu to go onto the lead for a icom
    I found a site that showed how to make up the connectors with maplin jack plugs, I soldered the mike wires the wrong way on the pins,
    showed as transmitting but now speach inheadset and just hiss to ground station I have the info somewher...Ill have a look
    Thanks, but none of the wires are "home made" - if I connect a GA headset to the radio (i.e remove the red wiring, insert headset), PTT works fine, it's only when the helmet and MM016B are connected that the screech/howl appears when PTT is pressed.

Update:-

I've noticed that the tone changes if I move the radio about, it's a low pitched howl with the radio at full lead's length from my helmet, increasing in pitch and strength as I bring the radio closer to the helmet (with PTT pressed).

Tried altering the sidetone on the radio from high to off - no difference.

Tried switching ANL off in the radio menu, swapping between internal and external mic - no effect.

Ross

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Have emailed you Ross

Thanks
    From previous experience in other fields of radio transmitters, it sounds like (forgive the pun!) Radio Frequency energy getting picked up in the microphone cabling.

The cure is normally a very small value (0.001 micro-Farad) capacitor in parallel with the microphone. As I know nothing of your setup, how you go about fitting one I have no idea. I hope this may be useful.

Thanks
    I think I'm on top of the problem - Eddie at microavionics suggested moving the jumper inside the interface (MM016B) from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 and that cleared the screech when the ptt was pressed. I'm now getting a "TX" on the radio - only trouble is I've got no sidetone, but that's a small price to pay for a useable system.
    Thanks to all for your help.

Ross