Thanks

Thumbs up Rans S6 582 Flaps

Hi All

I have a small prolem i need help with . When on final my instructor requires me to keep to 60mph on Full flaps which i find impossible as the rans POA says 45mph so i am 15mph above at 1st stage speeds. Should i keep trying to keep at 60 or advise him that 60 i way to high. His plane that i used to train in is a Jabiru 450ul which is 60 on full flaps.
    So anyone with a rans S6 can tell me what there approaches are like will help.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks
    I would have thought your instructor would have familiarised him self with the flying/take off/landing characteristics of your aircraft before attempting to train you on it.

Perhaps take a copy of the manual with you,and diplomatically, draw his attention to it.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy dixon View Post
    I would have thought your instructor would have familiarised him self with the flying/take off/landing characteristics of your aircraft before attempting to train you on it.

Perhaps take a copy of the manual with you,and diplomatically, draw his attention to it.
    Yes that my be an idea

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x-fighter View Post
    Hi All

I have a small prolem i need help with . When on final my instructor requires me to keep to 60mph on Full flaps which i find impossible as the rans POA says 45mph so i am 15mph above at 1st stage speeds. Should i keep trying to keep at 60 or advise him that 60 i way to high. His plane that i used to train in is a Jabiru 450ul which is 60 on full flaps.
    So anyone with a rans S6 can tell me what there approaches are like will help.

Thanks

Martin
    Vfe 65mph according to the LAA spec sheet (which is not a very high flap limit speed anyway) http://www.lightaircraftassociation....NS%20S6-ES.pdf
    So a 60mph approach speed certainly isn’t impossible,

read the S6 manual with caution - it mentions 45mph approach speed in one place but then in another advises at least 50-60mph for a full flap glide approach. In yet another place it says fly above the runway at 50mph with power and reduce power and raise the nose to land.

45mph in my experience is way to slow for a pilot new on type or in less than flat calm and using high power settings to ‘drag it in’. It leaves you quite vulnerable and close to the stalling speed.

60 is quite a sensible target for your instructor to set until you build competence and get used to the machine.
    Last edited by Paul Dewhurst; 05-11-17 at 19:08 PM.

Thanks
    Also is fiendishly hard to maintain a consistent approach when on the back of the drag curve. (Drag increases as speed decreases, unlike on the 'normal' part of the curve.)

Thanks
    I am a low hours S6 582 flyer. I find 60mph with 2 stage of flaps is perfectly controllable. I never use any more flap than 2 stage of flap .regards
    Kevin

Thanks
    FWIW I always land with 2 stages of flap at 55-60 mph. If I'm going for a very short runway I'll use full flap, and aim for 50-55 mph. I believe the flap limiting speeds in the POH of 1st notch 65 mph 2nd notch 55 mph and 3rd notch 45 mph are just a little too conservative !

Thanks
    I know find that 60mph is easy to acheive on second stage flaps then as reaching threshold apply third stage and reduce to 50-55 and then nose up at 45 for tuch down.
    I am now ready for my solo when this bloody weather decides to calm down so i get as nearer perfect day as i can.