Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank sealer

Thanks
    You could run on Esso ethanol free 97 octane...in most of the UK it free off Ethanol.

Some of the other brands of 97 octane may also be free of the awful stuff...but checks would be needed.

I have just started using it in my 50 year old 2 stroke motor bike...the difference is quite noticeable.

Bit more expensive and not all Esso outlets sell it.

Are you 2 or 4 stroke.

Nick.

Thanks
    Job done. Cut the top off the tank, scraped out the existing sealer I found (easy once you got a scraper underneath), 'painted' on Caswell sealer (an epoxy based ethanol proof sealer) to both half's, used more sealer and fibreglass tape to join them back together, overlayed a wider f/g tape using epoxy based resin. Looks OK but not yet tested.
    It was well worth the effort to split the tank to prep the interior surface.
    Intend to use ethanol free fuel in the future, will see how the Rotax 503 responds although it seemed OK on the cheap stuff. Thanks for the comments

Thanks
    I use Shell V-Power no ethanol present. Burns cleaner and runs smother.

Thanks
    It will run ok on std 95 octane Trev....they are setup for upto 10% ethanol...well the later 503s are...its just your poor old tank that wont like it and maybe your fuel lines.

Shadow is Shell V Power definitely 100% ethanol free...is that 97 octane?

I see your in Eire...wonder if its the same here.

Nick.

Nick.

Thanks
    Hi Nick,

according to the data sheet issued by shell it has no ethanol. It is indeed 97 octane. A friend of mine in the CZ Rep flies his Koala (Eurostar) on it and wont use anything else. Here in the Republic it is difficult to get shell so I always carry 2 20l cans in the boot and fill up. Another reliable one is that from BP the Ultimate.

They both seem to run well for me and touching wood I still don't have delamination in the fibrelam tanks although they will be changed over winter for Ally jobs.

Thanks
    I believe the ethanol is added at the distribution depot as it goes into the tanker, along with each petrol company's 'special' additives - the fuel from the tanks being raw stock that goes to all companies. So the existence of ethanol is a regional thing. In the Notts area Sainsbury's Super is ethanol free (and as cheap as everyone else's cooking). Tesco's is not. Essar (previously Murco) Super is ethanol free - but the pump at our local station does have an 'E5' sticker on it.

Thanks
    Tesco, yeah well I got caught up on the scandal years gone by with the silicone in the fuel (when I was on the german motorway near Kassel) so I am wary of cheap fuels were the operators don't know where or which refinery the latest delivery came from. there was a similar thing went on here in the island where the fuel was dodgy but that has been cleared up. Texaco seems to be a good one now, it always was when I lived in Germany, so I will test some when I get the new testing kit and see what comes out of it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Shell V power, Esso Synergy and other brands of 'premium' petrol are not guaranteed ethanol free.
    There is a lot of data on this subject on the vintage car and bike fora.
    Some brands appear to be ethanol free in some geographical areas, but not with any reliable consistency.

Either use 100LL, test every batch of automotive fuel (not difficult or complex - just a clear container and some water) or adapt to the ethanol.
    G-BZNP Still not dead

Thanks
    Esso are quite specific on the few location where Ethanol is added to its 97 octane petrol.

I use it in my 50 year old motor bike...Good to hear Shell also do add it to there 97 octane petrol.

Shaddow I like you gave supermarket petrol a wide berth...until now for diesel only...which I buy from Tesco...fingers crossed.