Thanks

Anyone else do flightsim?

While I've been grounded for the past few months I've been keeping my hand in with flight simulator and especially playing around with X-Plane 11 because FSX is useless for the area in which I live in SW France. But when I've checked out the sceneries of the local airfields that I've actually flown into in X-Plane I've found that most of them don't bear any relationship to what's really there.

In July last year I did a flight in the Savannah from Chateau Malbec, my home airfield, to Égletons in the Corrèze (Limousin), Aurillac in the Cantal (Auvergne) and Figeac in the Lot, before returning to Malbec. There are reasonable X-Air sceneries for Égletons and Aurillac but the representation of Figeac is pretty poor, so I decided to rectify this by making my own. I've nearly got it ready to upload to the X-Plane portal and as a 'taster' I've made a little video of the state of the game so far.

See what you think.

Thanks
    Congratulations, I know how much work goes into making even basic local scenery. So Roger, do any good flights in it? Any videos?

I used an earlier version of X-Plane for my training simulator, more representative than realistic, because my main goal was to have a training device to supplement real world training. I did put most of my effort into getting the flight characteristics of the school Thruster replicated.

I've stopped instructing now and nobody wanted to buy the full simulator, so I'm selling it piecemeal.

Any instructors on here using simulation as part of the course?

Back to just bimbling

Thanks
    Thanks Joan. I recall a while back when I was designing scenery for MSFS we talked about my doing a bit for your simulator in X-Plane, but I wasn't familiar with the X-Plane design tools at the time. I think that things have changed a bit now though as X-Plane has come on in leaps and bounds and will IMO become the system of choice if only commercial and independent 3rd party developers, like me if you like, get behind it.

There are several reasons, not the least being that because its 'engine' uses current 64 bit technology compared to the obsolete 32 bit system that FSX still relies on, you don't need a Kray supercomputer to run it. This has many advantages the main one being that the software isn't crippled as you increase the level of detail.

As I've found in the X-Plane sceneries that I've done, including this one, you can add eye candy with little or no performance penalty which is good for the user. But more importantly, you can add huge volumes of things like trees which is critical for the surrounding environment.

And that's what I've been concentrating on, as well as all the little 'easter eggs' that I've built in for people to explore and discover by roaming around the scenery, as I've done in the video, once they've landed there.

This means funnily enough that I haven't done lots of general 'flying' in X-Plane, although in Version 11 its highly suited for it, as the terrain is covered in accurate roads that you can follow with moving vehicles, joining villages and communes in this part of the world that are in the right places (but admittedly don't look too much like the real things) and lots of 3D detail, the trees in particular, that is much more effective than the flat photo textures that FSX employs.

Instead I've been concentrating on getting the approach environment right, which includes buildings , trees, water areas roads etc, because those are the things that concern real pilots. It's very time consuming, but time is what I've got a lot of at the moment and in any case, I've been using fs scenery design as a distraction mechanism which I can pick up and put down as the mood takes me while I've been unable to fly in reality and to take my mind off other things. And its been very effective.

What it also means is that I've been doing lots of approaches and landings as I've made changes to the scenery that I want to assess, and as we all know, you can teach monkeys to fly, but you can't teach them to do greasers every time

BTW congratulations on your and Ginge's retirement as I'm assuming that's what it is. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine, albeit that the past few months have been a bit of a hiatus for me. But as they say, 'All things must end' which will be true, hopefully, for me too come the Spring.

Thanks
    It's thee and me alone, it seems

Back to just bimbling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    It's thee and me alone, it seems
    I've dabbled in flightsims from time to time. I really like the MSFSX. But if I'm being honest, I do prefer a bit more arcadey flying then full on simulations.

Thanks
    my sim is lying under the computer desk where it has languished for the past 3 or 4 years.
    fly high fly safe and may you always have the wind at your back
    (except when taking off or landing according to Phil )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woodysr2 View Post
    my sim is lying under the computer desk where it has languished for the past 3 or 4 years.
    Evening all, happy new year. Ahh William... same for me until I encountered my health issues in 2017 which have kept me out of the air from last April, but not for too much longer thank goodness.

I actually needed something to occupy and distract me from my general problems and flightsim scenery design, which I used to do quite a bit of back in the day for the MS versions, seemed like a good idea. And so it proved.

Except I lost interest in MSFS years ago because of all the bugs left in it by Microsoft before they offloaded it and just happened to download the free X-Plane 11 beta to give it a try. And I was amazed - it has shortcomings that I won't go into now but overall for the kind of flying I like to do ie the same as in real life, the overall experience was, and is, far more realistic IMO. And I think my little video of my Figeac-Livernon scenery shows that. So I ended up purchasing the full version and true to their word, X-Plane have now updated it for free two or three times at least in the intervening period making it better all the time.

I still need to finish the scenery, and the others that I've been working on, and upload them to the X-Plane portal and as I hope to be back in the air when my treatment (chemo) finishes this month and my general health recovers, I'll want to be doing more real flying to catch up on what I've missed than flying in FS or doing scenery design.

But I've really enjoyed my time with X-Plane and even ended up buying a set of pedals to improve the experience, child at heart that I am. I'd recommend it to anyone as the shortcomings (no proper ATC, no seasonal colours and foliages, no decent AI traffic (other aircraft moving and flying around you) unless you buy a third-party add-on and nowhere near as many aircraft to download and add to your 'hangar' as MSFSX/P3D), do not detract from the realism and as Joan has shown for years with her simulator at Saxon Microlights, it really is a meaningful training aid.

And in truth, that's the real market that X-Plane is aiming at and why the software is used to run a whole bunch of pro training simulators. I'd recommend it.

PS sorry for taking a while to respond to your last comment Joan, but as you can imagine, I've been a bit distracted by other issues over the past few weeks

Roger