Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Saw a roadrunner on the A1

Isn't it funny what you notice when you are looking for something, I was filling up my car in a gas station a few days ago on the A1 carriageway when a mini transporter pulled in with a dismantled aircraft on the haulage platform.

I asked the driver if it was his aircraft? he answered that it wasn't, he was delivering it to someone in North Scotland and had come up from Nottinghamshire with it.

I asked if he knew what type of aircraft it was and his reply was that it was a microlight called G-MZNX. He showed me the lettering G-MZNX on the inner wing panel.

I googled G-MZNX and it showed me it is a Thruster T600N, I have never seen a Thruster in the US so it was nice to actually see a new type up close.
    Are they a good microlight to start with? it looked quite basic which is ideal for me starting out again in flying in the UK.

I am looking at webpages to find a microlight to buy, are there any specialized sites that you all use to find what you are looking for?
    Keith Nelson
    ( Actively looking for a microlight to buy ).

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Thanks
    Afors !
    ​Nick....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodent For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (11-01-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nelson View Post
    I googled G-MZNX and it showed me it is a Thruster T600N, I have never seen a Thruster in the US so it was nice to actually see a new type up close.
    Are they a good microlight to start with? it looked quite basic which is ideal for me starting out again in flying in the UK.
    Fuse tube design, see other post.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    I spent over a dozen years instructing in Thrusters (several different marques, all called Thruster - TST, T300, T600T, T600N, T600I Sprint, T600N Sprint) and find them excellent beasts and every bit as capable of many of the prettier designs. They don't come on the market that often because they tend to get sold by word of mouth.

See also Randombloke's other post - the AX3 is an excellent old-school microlight - not fast but safe and fun to fly.
    (Declaration of interest - I am selling one of the AX3s on AFORS)

Back to just bimbling

Thanks
    I should declare an interest... I am now the "proud" owner of G-ZNX bopught via AFORS which was seen by Keith on the A1

Not really that "au fait" with the marque, having been a Shadow driver for many, many years since "upgrading" from gliding

Yes, it got here in one piece withough any damage thanks to the sterling efforts of "that person who shall never, ever be spoken about on here".. Peter Kelsy of Ferryair.

Good luck with your search
    Wally Hayward

Thanks
    Goldrush.

I am so jealous. I had a very quick look at your aircraft and it has made me all the more determined to get a wriggle on to get back into flying.

I know what a Shadow is, you mention "upgrading" Is the Thruster considered upgrading?

I will start looking for a Thruster, it has really given me a boost seeing your one.
    Keith Nelson
    ( Actively looking for a microlight to buy ).

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Thanks
    Speaking from the other side of the coin as Madam Breakneck, I'm an NPPL student currently learning on fuse-tube designs - previously on a Thruster T600N, and now in an AX2000, but bringing a Thruster TST 'back to life' whilst finishing off my training.

You ask whether they're basic and the answer to that is unashamedly yes. The instrumentation is minimal, and the TST is a essentially two seats, some instruments and a small engine. It doesn't (usually) have doors (though the T600 does). That said, that's absolutely half the appeal of them. They're simple, basic, seat-of-the-pants flying - and they're as touch as old boots.

The 'basic-ness' of them is shared, in fairness, with lots of other older microlights - it's only the newer hotships that have crazy fast cruise speeds, heaters, doors, etc. But they have few downsides, though I will tell you that some grumble about the seats in the TST with regards to comfort, and - more pressingly - spares for the TST are becoming harder to come by - tail springs, for example, and indeed the Rotax 503 power plant.

That said - there's much to recommend them, and you'll find many who have flown them have a real affection for them, whatever they're flying now. If you want to get more of a taste of them, might I recommend the book 'Propellerhead' - one man's experience and journey of learning to fly in a Thruster, and well worth a read...
    Currently learning to fly with the fabulous Great Western Airsports, and recording my experiences at The Tyranny Of Petty Things

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nelson View Post
    Goldrush.

I am so jealous. I had a very quick look at your aircraft and it has made me all the more determined to get a wriggle on to get back into flying.

I know what a Shadow is, you mention "upgrading" Is the Thruster considered upgrading?

I will start looking for a Thruster, it has really given me a boost seeing your one.

Sorry... when I spoke of "upgrading"... it was meant to cynically referred to my move from gliding to Microlights.. not the move from the Shadow to Thruster.
    In fact my personal feelings is that appart from the fact that at age 82 I found it difficult to get out of the Shadow, I do belive the Shadow to be "superior".. but that's just a personal thing and probably based upon the fact that I used to spend many many happy hours inn the Shadow soaring........... whereas, I am fairly sure that to do a couple of hours engine off in thermals in the Thruster in Scotand would be a more taxing situation

Basically to fly anything, is better than sitting on the ground!!
    Wally Hayward

Thanks

Safe and secure
    Last edited by Job_CF; 12-01-18 at 23:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Smile View Post
    it's only the newer hotships that have crazy fast cruise speeds, heaters, doors, etc.
    It's the heater that you notice. (I'm learning in t600n sprints so I've got luxuries like doors)

An hour in the Thruster yesterday and I couldn't feel my fingers any more. An hour later and I was being shown around a Eurostar and the biggest difference wasn't flying in the other seat or cruising 50% faster or how little effort the controls take, it was that I was warm.