Thanks

Flash 2 Alpha - Widow Maker?

As some of you may have noticed, I am researching my first aircraft purchase. One option that pops up regularly in the right price bracket is the Flash 2 Alpha. I am concerned, however, about some negative comments regarding the handling - particularly near the stall - that I have heard in the club room. I have done some research on here but the posts seem quite old - going back to 2010 largely - though they are fairly positive. Am I just hearing about old issues that have been resolved, or is there still a genuine reason for concern?

Thanks
    I learned to fly weightshift in my Alpha. I was told not to whip-stall it. That means don't aggressively point the aircraft up-hill and let it slow down through stall speed quickly. The results are not pleasant. Don't point one up hill and climb really hard with a powerful engine on the back, and have the engine fail. That is very much less pleasant. In the real world - flying normally - even 'enthusiastically' - they are fine aircraft. And I'd love to try one with a powerful engine on the back.

Someone may be along soon to give chapter and verse but this post is in case of not.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

nezrobiso (09-02-18)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong with the F2 Alpha, the original F2 was the scary one. I have chucked a F2 Alpha around the sky in a way that would make many people sick. I have stalled them and even bent the batons in hard treatment but they are a robust sturdy machine.

Thanks
    most in the know will tell you that the f2a is one of the best all rounders ever made with loads of training schools having had them and some still do,yes it gets a little more battering in really rough thermals than say a blade but thats because it has such a big wing area ..it is a fantastic lifter .i have had mine 2 big blokes and a shed load of fuel right on the erm max load limit and it still climbs away ..

a slow (50/55mph hot)dependable aircraft imo .

bobt is spot on about the f2 if its been messed with from standard .
    Last edited by kawasakiinit; 12-02-18 at 17:34 PM.
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Have to disagree about the Flash 2. Neither it or Flash2a are at all dangerous, or even scary, so long as they are in factory tune. There's a lot of latitude for 'tuning' on both, and always with tuning, there's a downside. You can bet the designer set it up originally for best compromise. Part of permit inspection is to ensure 'factory' condition (plus minor tuning to correct any sail manufacturing tolerances). An inspector who's not confirmed this condition is out of order. So go for it. (I actually prefer the F2a over the Blade in thermic conditions.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

nezrobiso (12-02-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Part of permit inspection is to ensure 'factory' condition (plus minor tuning to correct any sail manufacturing tolerances). An inspector who's not confirmed this condition is out of order.
    So as long as it is permitted it should be ok? That's interesting to know thanks.

Thanks
    Wouldn't want to cast any aspersions on fellow inspectors, but if I was buying one, I'd still like to repeat the tests - they're easy for anyone to do:
    1) remove battens and check against the supplied (yes - it MUST have one) batten plan, and,
    2) stretch a string between keel and wing tip and measure the height of the three batten tails that are raised by the luff lines
    There is a service bulletin that describes exactly how to do this, and what the required dimensions should be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (13-02-18)

Thanks
    Hi. I did all my training and lots of hours when fully fledged in a F2a. Great machines, lovely handling. I preferred flying it over my later Blade 912.
    As previously stated, so long as the permit is in order, especially with ref to batten profile and correct trailing edge position, the handling is fairly light.
    Stalls are routine and easily recovered. Of course, as mentioned if you really abuse it and try a really steep stall it won't behave nicely - but any flexwing should avoid such extreme attitudes.
    Your training should cover the correct handling techniques and demonstrate how to stay safely within the flight limitations.