Thread: Quantum Leap

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quantum Leap

Hello all Quantum owners,

I am sure as well as many of you, I received last week a letter from P&M Aviation about some upgrades which are available for the Quantum range of Aircraft. In total there are 5 upgrades available under Mod 324, some of which are Major Mods done at the factory and whereby your aircraft will be test flown following the work. There are also a couple of Minor Mods, spats and fairings for uprights and Kingpost. The result is an increase of speed to 70 mph.

Well done to P&M Aviation. I think it is an excellent idea. There are many Quantums out there and the upgrades are I believe well priced. For around 2,500 to 3,000 a Quantum could be completely upgraded including a wing inspection at the factory.

I was considering holding onto my Quantum 503 for another 2-3 years with the aim of hopefully upgrading to a Quik 912 or a GT450. However now with the possibility of this upgrade, I think I could have a similar speed range from my Quantum following the upgrades. Plus I might consider buying a second hand 912 to nail onto the back whilst I am at it. It is certainly some food for thought. Not something I can do right now, but a plan for the future.

I wish P&M Aviation every success with this plan and I hope fellow Quantum owners make the investment and get their much loved Quantums upgraded to the Quantum Leap. Would be a very nice article for the BMAA Magazine. Looking forward to hearing more.

What do you think? Is it something you would consider?

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    I`m sort of interested but it comes at a fair price for just 10mph more, if the (912 engines only) gt450 upgrade was reasonable I might be swayed.

Thanks
    Mine sits at a steady 56mph calibrated in fast trim at the moment even though the asi is saying 65! So 70 would indeed be a quantum leap, provided of course that the rpm stayed the same, I haven't seen any of these numbers.
    It's basically adding an extra hangpoint position further forward and changing the batten profile. I think Andy Buchan did this a few years back and got similar speeds, although I'm not sure if that's Calibrated? Then adding a strap at the trailing edge root to do a similar job in assisting roll input as the latest wings have. I was always more interested in trying to make a GTR wing fit with a taller a-frame but I think a new wing is somewhere around 8 grand�� so this is a far more economic option and I will be getting some of the mods when I can afford it.
    They are also supposed to have a cure for the 912 carb rubber issue and I wonder why there wasn't an option to fit the quik type engine cover
    Last edited by Wexfordair; 27-02-18 at 08:31 AM. Reason: to add the last sentence

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Henry,

Yes I was thinking that too. After going from a Skyranger 912S to a Pegasus XL 462 I basically halved my cruise speed. . But enjoyed the flying far more. Then going from a 45mph cruise in the XL to a 55mph cruise in the Quantum felt like a Quantum Leap. So to get an extra 15 mph would be fantastic. I would be delighted with 70 mph and a 912 nailed onto the back. Not something I can do right now, but I will start saving.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    I'm considering the mods too, even though my Quantum is just a 582!

Cheers - Rob

Thanks
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has done the Quantum Leap upgrade yet? I

If so how is it? I would like to find how it is before booking it in.

Seems like a great idea. I fly along at 60mph, but my mates fly their Quiks at 80, it would be great if i could keep up with them a bit better.

Thank you.