Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Yes, I worked for them in Corby for 16 years.
    CPC are OK if as you say you're not in a hurry for the parts. I suspect they have faster postage options if you want to pay extra for them although It's not something I've needed.
    I've used Farnell quite a few times and their service is very good. Farnell's website is better than RS which is and always has been awful! I have no loyalty to either company, but I use the one that has the product I need at the right price and quality and makes it easy to find and order.
    As for Maplin, I've never rated their products or service ever since I built a ZX81 keyboard kit of theirs back in the early 80's which never worked properly. Their "after sales service" was a joke and their current products are over-priced and of questionable quality, but maybe I've been spoiled by having access to professional-quality products and services.
    RS have Trade Counters dotted around the country, but they are supposed to be for trade use only as it's part of the planning requirements which allows them to exist. They have a postal service, but I've never used it. Their hobbyist/non-account side of the company was called Electromail, but that was killed off in the late 90's from memory.
    Tandy were pretty good and I think Maplin thought they could replace Tandy when they closed, but Maplin are now in their death throes!
    Never used any of the suppliers technical services - that's cheating isn't it? CPC used to be next day under the pre-website regime of 45 minimum order for free postage. On the other hand, I never knew a distributor who could **** up orders so well. The UPS guy would hand me a parcel and say 'see you tomorrow', as he knew he'd either be coming to pick up an incorrect return item or bringing the item they'd forgotten! Wasn't just me... They're much improved now. The RS website is worse than awful. Farnell's not much better - always has been - even going back to their CDs, pre-website. Better than it was though. CPC's was good, but not so much since they had the Farnell version imposed on them. It still amazes me how often all the sites deny knowledge of what I'm looking for (when I know they have it). At least CPC allow me to look at a catalogue page (though it may be we've seen the last of such a thing). The beauty of a catalogue is you can look at similar products easily. The websites, despite complex parametric search functions, still manage to miss the obvious alternative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Never used any of the suppliers technical services - that's cheating isn't it? CPC used to be next day under the pre-website regime of 45 minimum order for free postage. On the other hand, I never knew a distributor who could **** up orders so well. The UPS guy would hand me a parcel and say 'see you tomorrow', as he knew he'd either be coming to pick up an incorrect return item or bringing the item they'd forgotten! Wasn't just me... They're much improved now. The RS website is worse than awful. Farnell's not much better - always has been - even going back to their CDs, pre-website. Better than it was though. CPC's was good, but not so much since they had the Farnell version imposed on them. It still amazes me how often all the sites deny knowledge of what I'm looking for (when I know they have it). At least CPC allow me to look at a catalogue page (though it may be we've seen the last of such a thing). The beauty of a catalogue is you can look at similar products easily. The websites, despite complex parametric search functions, still manage to miss the obvious alternative.
    I think however easy you make it to find a product, there are always people who are too lazy to look for themselves or read the instructions and "Techniques" were developed to deal with them such as: "If you look on page 52, you will find 8-pin relays"
    or "As it says on page 12 of the instructions...etc."
    Farnell/CPC are not unique in screwing up orders. Many times I would arrange for a replacement product to be sent out to a customer after he had phoned to say he'd received the wrong item, only to find out he received the exact same wrong item again the next day. I can distinctly remember occasions where they'd receive it 3 or even 4 day in a row despite "checks" being done - That's how to really hack customers off!
    As for the RS website, my engineer colleagues and I gave up complaining to the catalogue team about the appaling indexing and search system, but they never listened and just kept backslapping each other for their fantastic catalogue/CD/Website. Anyway, that's another story.
    One of the company directors once asked us if we could find a laptop computers that had recently been introduced into the catalogue, as he wanted one. Despite trying all the search terms (in the website): Laptop; computer; portable computer; notebook etc, it could not be found - However, someone happened to know the stock number and on typing it in the system it appeared. Lo and behold they were soon discontinued......why? because they didn't sell as customers could find them!!
    Last edited by Trident; 13-03-18 at 22:15 PM.
    Comfortably Numb......