Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Why have all the established members left? :-

Possibly:-

Banned members allowed free reign and free advertising, no vetting of new spam members, out of date/dodgy security certificates.

Vince has more important things to deal with.

If allowed by Vince, is there anyone trusted available to admin the forum?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FarmStripFlyer For This Useful Post:

Aerial (18-03-18), Antoni (18-03-18), Bob T (19-03-18), jetlag (19-03-18), MadamBreakneck (19-03-18), Peter Twissell (19-03-18), Randombloke (18-03-18), willjohnh (11-06-18)

Thanks
    I have had good reaction from a mod to my use of the Report Post button in the past - so there are mods (at least one).
    Perhaps everybody who agrees with FarmStripFlyer's point should report the post stating that you agree with the point made.
    That way the mod(s) will have a way of gauging forum members' feelings on the matter.

Thing to remember though is that mod(s) like the rest of us - I hope - have a life outside the forums and can't be expected to respond instantly.
    Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Thanks
    Maybe simply add thanks to the original posting could be measured not only by mods but also the general membership and their peers feelings regards the subject
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (19-03-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Maybe simply add thanks to the original posting...
    True, that's an idea less likely to cheese off the mods.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

jetlag (19-03-18)

Thanks
    I just checked in for the first time in a long time after being quite a prolific member and past moderator (I may still be a mod, I have no idea).

For me, the forum went downhill a few years back around the time that it was sold to an Australian chap who wished to convert it to some kind of online shop, and simultaneously alienated the entire core membership, and there was an exodus (which included me and most of my close flying friends). When normal service resumed, some came back; most didn't. IMHO, this forum became largely the domain of new flyers with very few experienced members. The new and inexperienced members would dish out advice and information of questionable value as though it were gospel, and the value of the forum was lost to me. It could be resurrected; the spammers and troll(s) could be kept in check, but it takes time and effort that I doubt many people have to invest.

Since the above events, the old core have moved to a private Facebook and WhatsApp group, and that is where the banter remains.

Thanks
    Rick, to address the title of the thread directly not everyone likes 'banter'; it can be a bit like noise which has to be tuned out. Been guilty of it myself on the massive airgunbbs forum, but on there there'll be a genuine information exchange post only a minute or so after a 'funny' post.

Banter can be a worse problem if the concept isn't fully understood by the poster. That can lead to forum memebers being banned. There was an absolute classic case of that all in its very own thread not long ago. The poster discussed banter and demonstrated he had absolutely no idea of what it's meant for...

Wow! Just remembered another forum I was on years back -the slightest deviation from solid technical discussion would get you banned. The people on it made constant abeyances to the forum gods lest their post might be seen as a tiny bit frivalous. I remember Nickthedentist did that all the time. Only time I've ever been banned from a forum.

It's a balance innit?
    Last edited by Antoni; 30-05-18 at 13:54 PM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Rick, to address the title of the thread directly not everyone likes 'banter'; it can be a bit like noise which has to be tuned out. Been guilty of it myself on the massive airgunbbs forum, but on there there'll be a genuine information exchange post only a minute or so after a 'funny' post.

Banter can be a worse problem if the concept isn't fully understood by the poster. That can lead to forum memebers being banned. There was an absolute classic case of that all in its very own thread not long ago. The poster discussed banter and demonstrated he had absolutely no idea of what it's meant for...

Wow! Just remembered another forum I was on years back -the slightest deviation from solid technical discussion would get you banned. The people on it made constant abeyances to the forum gods lest their post might be seen as a tiny bit frivalous. I remember Nickthedentist did that all the time. Only time I've ever been banned from a forum.

It's a balance innit?
    I'm not entirely sure how that addresses the title of the thread, but I accept your point. This forum used to be (and possibly still is; I'm nowhere near active enough on here to know) populated by many people who were personally known to each other outside of the forum; a band of friends, who would engage in banter in exactly the same way as we still do face to face and via other media. We wrote as we would speak to each other in person, and I don't feel that there is anything to be "guilty" of there. If the forum is intended to be purely a resource of technical information instead of a community of friends and fellow flyers, then I feel it is the worse for that.

To answer the title question; why did I/we leave? Because our forum was sold beneath us (whilst we did not own the domain name or the software license, it was the members content) to a bloke that alienated us all and we therefore chose another medium by which to communicate. Once he bailed out due to having no members left within a matter of hours, there was no real reason to return. Largely, we do not know the remaining and new members who post here (Tips hat to Clive, Joan, Roger and Jim C about whom that is untrue), and now seldom read the forum and very rarely post.

Interestingly, not everything has changed: Having just had a look around for the first time in a long time, 3 things struck me:
    1: There's another thread asking where the original members have gone.
    2: There's a thread discussing Peter Kelsey's most recent ban (as a mod here, I must've banned him or his alter-egos at least 15-20 times...)
    3: The guy who took the forum cup to an inaccessible private strip nearly 3 years ago still seems not to have returned it (and he worked in the tech office at the BMAA at the time)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Moss For This Useful Post:

Bob T (31-05-18), Gentreau (30-05-18)

Thanks
    I remember that manic banning of people by the new owner, and people going to another forum saying something like thank god I got out. Remember thinking it a bit odd to say that when getting out is simply not going back in in the first place.

Rick, can you remember the name of that forum people went to at that time - may even be exactly the one you're talking about above!

But IIRC the owner at the time soon saw sense and this forum slowly came back to life. There are a lot more people on here that you will know than you list. You for example!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Personally I'm not a great fan of Facebook and the other new-fangled media - it's probably an age thing I guess. I have a Facebook account but can't be bothered with it and I'm fed up of getting emails saying that so-and-so was at some garden centre or restaurant or other. And although my son's been saying for ages that I should get a Whatsap(?) account, know what? I just can't be arsed.

I prefer forums (or fora if you're a pedant) and there aren't that many English language ones to do with micro/ultralights, ULMs call them what you will. I don't support the BMAA and have no intention of doing so by joining and posting on their pathetic forum ever since I was banned from it on trumped up charges something like 6 or 7 years ago and have absolutely no regrets as it's now reverted once again to being tumbleweed junction. So as far as I'm concerned it just leaves this one.

I've given up on it a few times in the past, once I even had my account with something like 3000 posts deleted, only to find my way back again. And not because I'm a fan of 'banter', mainly because I don't personally know most of the posters on here and probably now never will with my living in France. I guess it's because of the camaraderie, faceless though it may be, which for me seems to count for so much more. It's to do with sharing with other people who have a common interest.

I guess that's why I get annoyed when I see other posters abusing the forum and being rude, abusive and disrespectful to other members. I don't think that that's what forums like this are for and it's on those occasions that I get up on my hind legs and give those people as good as, or better than, they dole out.

I don't post all the time mainly because not all of the stuff on here interests me, but that's how it should be as we are all different with different passions and are turned on by different things. But it doesn't mean that I'm not looking in regularly and sometimes initiating new topics when I've got something that I think others might like to share.

I think it's a shame that quite a few of the old names that I remember have chosen to go off in another direction but although I think the forum has lost by their so doing, it's their choice. There aren't enough of us, in the UK especially, and splitting a group of mainly quite experienced members off was always going to weaken the whole. And I miss their contributions too.

But all the while the forum's alive and kicking and I am too, I'll hang on in here and I hope that others will too. And I'm sure that other members would join me in welcoming back any of the old faithfuls who are active elsewhere, even if just for the odd visit from time to time

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Let's find out if the old members really are all on Facebook .....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2854...3392136846538/
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.