Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Deleted members are deleted members, they cannot log on so they aren't an issue to you.

Any posts from deleted members remain because they make up part of the discussion they were posted in to maintain continuity.

I for one think Gentreau is doing a pretty good job managing the forum so instead of bleating, be thankful that he is cleansing the forum of fake users.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebarb View Post
    I for one think Gentreau is doing a pretty good job managing the forum so instead of bleating, be thankful that he is cleansing the forum of fake users.
    Ok, I have to concede, that's worthy of a smile.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebarb View Post
    Deleted members are deleted members, they cannot log .....
    Slow down old chap. You've misunderstood. Not those who were members and were revealed as undesirables but all those who quite obviously are not valid members - essay writers, bitcoin sellers, insurance sellers - all are visible in the footer of the forum home page and are a strong deterrent IMO to proper new members joining the forum. They should be expunged from view as soon as they are spotted. No ifs, no buts.

Thanks
    I agree Roger it is reported as "Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours" if this dross is referred to as "members" for what ever reason mr/mrs average joe public will assume they are what is says on the tin. First impressions count, and 1/3 reported total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours being dross reflects badly on the forum, the owner, the moderators and the real members, what says you JpM
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Are we all clear on the distinction between 'visited the forum' and 'logged in members of the forum' ?
    G-BZNP Still not dead

Thanks
    I suspect in the eyes of many simply semantics, though I do understand the difference I do not see why their names should continue to be displayed, only my personal opinion but if they are not wanted why continue to display the names. It still creates an "association" no matter how detatched. They are still referred to as "members"

Thanks
    Phil is exactly right. If I'm visiting a new forum and I see that the majority of 'visitors' are spammers and trolls then I have a feeling that I'm unlikely to join. The fact is that the dross that we're referring to have been given user names whether they post or not. That's wrong. They should be deleted and put on a banned name list as soon as they are spotted. FGS they are trolls and spammers, not proper members. They shouldn't get within an arm's length of a forum like this. If there's no system for deleting them then one has to be created. Surely someone gets an email whenever a new user name is created? I always used to on the forum that I ran and it then only took a moment to delete the obvious trash. I don't remember ever getting a complaint from a genuine new member who had been wrongfully deleted.
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 13-06-18 at 14:45 PM.

Thanks
    I see what you mean about fake posters ( or rather 'bots' ) When you see the amount it just shows what little attendance there is from genuine members or troll traffic.

Maybe JB can help search out the fake posters.

Thanks
    I have just tried logging onto the forum without signing in and "Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours is not visible to those who have not signed in, so not as bad for a first impression viewing. Still, bad form, banned should be out to include the comments that warranted the ban in the first instance. If comments were considered to be offensive enough to warrant a ban, then surely those very comments, being warranted as offensive, should be removed also.I am on other forums where the first ban is short period, second much longer and the third is out and all comments made previously by the offender are deleted along with any info/videos etc they have posted.... but then ... on that forum we have to use or real names, pay a very small subscription that aids in tracing .... and guess what ..... very very little multi-persona rubbish. I guess one gets what one pays for. I would, as I have previously mentioned gladly pay a subscription ... but this is the same old same old carousel
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Do you honestly think that essay writers, bitcoin sellers, insurance sellers & uncle Tom Cobley wouldn't pay a small price to get the 'right of passage' to post on the forum?

The entry fee would be chicken feed because the very nature of microlighting is that everything is low cost, the low cost is what attracts folk into this pastime so if you put too high an entry fee those who like the cheap costs wouldn't pay the cost and then you will lose more established members.

The solution isn't to think you could deter the 'unknowns' by putting an entry fee on it, it wouldn't work because no one will pay to join something like a forum without having had a trial period to assess if it was worth joining in the first place.