Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

The death throes of a friend

I quick look at the "new members" seems to show that our membership seems to be exploding .... but with what ... are they pseudonyms of trolls later to pop up if and when their present known status is deleted. I understand that the "master" is otherwise occupied but is there no-one at the controls, are we in a power dive. I jest not, I would be sorry to see the demise of this site and hope that it will be re-dressed before it is too late. Fesse book, not a mis-spelling, is ok but the huge researchable resource that is a good website such as this is a much better learning tool. I lived before Microlightforum and will continue to live should it hit the ground but sadly the knowledge will be forever lost to the four winds for many passionate would be pilots of the future. If it is to be so then I would like to thank now all those with whom I have had the pleasure of a positive interaction.
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nothing lasts forever, and trolls never change.

Thanks
    That is true, Bob, and a quick glance through the posts of recent members indicates there are definitely already a few more Peter's in the wings.

Personally, I wish he would learn to moderate himself a bit better as I'd actually like to see him remain on here if he would only put his ego firmly into a box, lock the key, and then throw the box into a deep abyss. He does have positive things to offer. And, to be fair, his DAR looks like an interesting machine.

In fairness, though, as was evidenced in the past few days, things get rapidly out of hand when certain buttons of Peter's get pushed. I think a few of us regulars on here have reason to have a moment of quiet introspection as well. Nothing happens in a vacuum, and it didn't this time either.

By the way, as Peter will be reading this, you deserved to be banned once again. You need to exercise a bit of restraint and let those buttons get pushed without rising to the bait every time.

Thanks
    That's a bit of a hopeless view, Bob. Things can survive, and trolls can change - as can the troll fodder - but they need to choose to.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first forum to be eaten by trolls and I'm sure it wouldn't be the last.

Thanks
    I think the majority of new users are simply spambots.
    Not sure if the site has been deploying security updates for some time

Can anyone throw a light on the message "V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paultheparaglider View Post

.... Personally, I wish he would learn to moderate himself a bit better as I'd actually like to see him remain on here
    But he's banned. The owner of the Forum has banned him. The moderators of the Forum will be under instruction to ban him every time he sticks his head up or if they are alerted to his presence. Every time he reappears he acts in a manner which ends up reinforcing that the decision to ban him wasn't a bad one.

Personally, I don't care either way if his ban is lifted. The Forum has an "Ignore" button which I assume works well enough. However, you're either banned or your not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to renmure For This Useful Post:

jetlag (24-03-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    The Forum has an "Ignore" button which I assume works well enough.
    Ah, but troll fodder can't resist taking a peak when a genuine newcomer is sucked in and replies, especially with a partial quote..
    I'm as guilty of that as anyone sometimes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Personally, I don't care either way if his ban is lifted. The Forum has an "Ignore" button which I assume works well enough. However, you're either banned or your not.
    Ignore really only works for specific personality clashes between one or two people. If a significant number of people on a forum all have to ignore one individual it's time for a ban. If an individual can write (nonsense) unchallenged on a forum because anyone who might challenge that person has pressed the ignore button, the forum becomes diluted with noise.

Forums are about interesting content and contribution all round. Unfortunately, endless amounts of cut and paste and speaking as an "authority" which when challenged has to go to insults provide neither.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Randombloke For This Useful Post:

jetlag (24-03-18)

Thanks
    One only has to look at the list of "members" in the last 24 hours to see the situation, we are but a few typing to either bots or multi personality malfunctioning creatures of a lower order
    Last edited by jetlag; 24-03-18 at 22:29 PM.
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

xbmaa
    Have you ever thought that for said person to cut and paste they must already know what they are looking for?, cutting and pasting could be looked upon as the height of laziness or as they have other things to do they use the quick post option of pasting the detail?
    Having the knowledge to hand to copy and paste pretty much shows the person already knew what was needed to answer the thread, to my mind that puts them into an authoritive position.

Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    Ignore really only works for specific personality clashes between one or two people. If a significant number of people on a forum all have to ignore one individual it's time for a ban. If an individual can write (nonsense) unchallenged on a forum because anyone who might challenge that person has pressed the ignore button, the forum becomes diluted with noise.

Forums are about interesting content and contribution all round. Unfortunately, endless amounts of cut and paste and speaking as an "authority" which when challenged has to go to insults provide neither.