Thanks

What radio set up for ssdr flex???

Hi folks. Just seeking ideas on radio set ups for a ssdr easy riser / as-tec wing. I need to buy a new 833 radio, but already have a lynx headset. Is there a way to directly connect a lynx headset via some kind of adapter to a radio without intercom in between? Any thoughts on icon vs yaesu for a new 833 Radio? Thx for thoughts. Rainbow.

thebarb
    Yaesu are a good enough radio company & with their 8.33 units ranging from 200.00 up to 349.00 they are ideal for use in microlights. Icom prices are significantly higher & I doubt there is much justification in their prices being so much higher than Yaesu prices.

Thanks
    I purchased another Icom last year (280) simply because my old one gave me 20 years of trouble free talking, it was then sold to a guy in Ireland for 80 and coupled with 60 approx back from the caa made it a good deal for me.
    I also remember something about the Yaesu being a little less straight forward regarding connections needed to get it up and running.
    Last edited by Dave Morton; 04-04-18 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks
    I'm in a similar position, leaning towards the Yaesu mainly on price - I reckon quality is just as good. Probably going to have a proper look at Popham in a few weeks, assuming Transair will be there again. Expanding the topic further, do people with a 'basic' ssdr trike set up have a preferred mounting/aerial solution. Thinking in the absence of any pod or spats etc, how would you sort out an aerial ground plane? Apologies if this seems daft but everything I've seen previously has the aerial mounted on a pod/fus and used a large-ish ground plane.
    Is it easier to just use the radio as is, securely fastened to something?
    Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GarethL View Post
    I'm in a similar position, leaning towards the Yaesu mainly on price - I reckon quality is just as good. Probably going to have a proper look at Popham in a few weeks, assuming Transair will be there again. Expanding the topic further, do people with a 'basic' ssdr trike set up have a preferred mounting/aerial solution. Thinking in the absence of any pod or spats etc, how would you sort out an aerial ground plane? Apologies if this seems daft but everything I've seen previously has the aerial mounted on a pod/fus and used a large-ish ground plane.
    Is it easier to just use the radio as is, securely fastened to something?
    Cheers

Can only speak for the icom but the output was increased with the 8.33's and this is very noticable whilst transmitting compared to my old icom, also flew with the rubber duck only and it was still a very good performance and of course the rubber duck eliminates the need for a ground plane.
    Probably best to compare both radio's specs and that may help you choose.

Thanks
    I was in the same position last year. I ended up with a yaesu 550 and a lynx relai headset with the remote ptt. The best bit was a new aerial from tiggy avionics for 15 and I have a great setup. Just need to make a knee board to hold the radio now.

Thanks
    As far as I'm aware these are the only CAA approved handhelds, prices are approx

ICOM IC-A6E 285
    ICOM IC-A24E 375
    Yaesu FTA-550 229
    Yaesu FTA-750 349
    Yaesu FTA-450 259

Thanks
    thanks for the replies guys. saw an add on afors for a lynx lead and headset which I have bought and I will add this to an icom a6 as I never had any issues with the a3, so this will keep things simple.

Thanks
    The new cheaper Yaesu FTA-250 is also approved by default as it complies with the non-aviation approval that the CAA accepts for hand-helds. Note that the 'L' suffix implies rechargeable lithium cells whilst the 'A' is for the AA battery version. If you're plumbing in the radio to your aircraft supply, the 'A' is significantly cheaper.

Thanks
    Pay attention these new FTAs do not accept anymore 12V at the EXT DC jack but 9.5 to 10.5 V so use the included cigarette lighter DC/DC converter.
    Flexwings or three axis, that is the question!