Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can you class a Microlight as a business expense?

Anyone who owns their own business ever bought a Microlight through that business? If so, how is it done/taxed? Benefits in kind? Business expense? I expect it will get complicated so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done it. (If an MP can claim for a Duck Pond -- why not!!)

Thanks
    I have not done it so this might be hot air.... However...

Be bold!

A microlight is a mode of transport.

Re business - well "Biz jets" for a start!

Move down a peg and there are lots of GA aircraft used as 'company 'planes' just like company cars. Running costs are charged to the business.

I remember at Caunton, Steve and Cheryl I think, used their microlight partly as an 'expense' in their business.

I worked at Zycomm a long time ago and remember the boss' hot air balloon that had Zycomm in massive lettering on it. That was classed as an advertising expense.
    Last edited by Antoni; 04-05-18 at 12:09 PM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    To the best of my knowledge - no. Microlights aren't allowed for commercial purposes overall unless you instruct in one. There might be some work arounds however I don't think it will be worthwhile taxes wise. Furthermore it would most likely attract unnecessarily HMRC's attention so practically it may cause more harm than benefit you. I wouldn't be touching that hot potato. Just my opinion though.

Thanks
    Wot Dyan said
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diyan View Post
    To the best of my knowledge - no. Microlights aren't allowed for commercial purposes overall unless you instruct in one. There might be some work arounds however I don't think it will be worthwhile taxes wise. Furthermore it would most likely attract unnecessarily HMRC's attention so practically it may cause more harm than benefit you. I wouldn't be touching that hot potato. Just my opinion though.
    I think he may be more interested in convincing HMRC its a mode of transportation for tax purposes rather than commercial air transport. As you said it can't be used for commercial air transportation. The aircraft would need a certificate of airworthiness and to get that it would normally be required to be built to a certification specification under Part-21 (EASA). Also, an air operators certificate is required to operate CAT aircraft for payment.

Thanks
    By all means fly to a business meeting in your privately owned microlight and claim expenses or tax relief for the equivalent road mileage. But that's as far as I'd go.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Put decals all over it and claim advertising expenses, if one can claim against a formula one dashing around a race track why not a microlight? If there is nothing in your portfolio to which you don't close inspection .... give it a try ... they can say yes or no .... go on ... give it a go ... you know you want to.
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Put decals all over it and claim advertising expenses, if one can claim against a formula one dashing around a race track why not a microlight? If there is nothing in your portfolio to which you don't close inspection .... give it a try ... they can say yes or no .... go on ... give it a go ... you know you want to.
    Lol. The CAA has that one covered!.. Aerial work (payment made but not for CAT).
    Last edited by Muttley; 05-05-18 at 15:03 PM. Reason: poor spelling!

Thanks
    Crickey !! It's hard to make/save a shilling with all this regulation.
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    You've got to consider that your exceptional efforts to avoid tax might make the tax man think your business finances are worthy of taking a close look at. There will be some ****-up in the books somewhere which they can find, just like the police often find a lightbulb or something slightly wrong with your car if your driving is interesting enough for them to stop you.

The HMRC visit usually isn't much fun and can be expensive if you need to have your accountancy firm present.
    The best argument for the status quo is a five minute conversation with Russell Brand.