Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    I also note that Tesla hasn't made the breakthrough in its home market, let alone the world, that you claim is imminent and is unlikely to do so. One of the reasons for this is its inabilty to make enough batteries - and where all the raw materials are going to come from for the thousands of millions that will be required if all ICE vehicles became electric nobody has yet been able to explain.
    This is the big issue everyone is ducking... IMV...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jones View Post
    I believe in science and technology, not blind, head in the sand prejudices.
    Science and technology are not about belief, they are about fact, proof and demonstration, so you've contradicted yourself there.

Quote Originally Posted by paultheparaglider View Post
    I share a lot of Adrian's optimism over electric cars, and also solar generation. However, it probably won't happen as quickly as he hopes for many practical reasons.
    Spot on, thanks for the well argued rationale that followed.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Dave, are we talking about the same model. The 100S has the largest battery and 300 miles is the maximum range achievable, driving for economy as you would in any car.

Also I am talking about the lastest Tesla super chargers which haven't been around for long. They are also launching even quicker hyper chargers soon too.

Thanks
    Paul, I've never thought flying cars were a good idea. Too many compromises in the design to acommodate both sets of requirements, and fatigue of the necessarily light weight structure on the roads would be a difficult problem to solve. Let along the crashworthiness requirements.

I'll take a look at that Tony Seba talk and I do follow Fully Charged, it's very entertaining.

Thanks
    Dave, are we talking about the same model. The 100S has the largest battery and 300 miles is the maximum range achievable, driving for economy as you would in any car.

Also I am talking about the lastest Tesla super chargers which haven't been around for long. They are also launching even quicker hyper chargers soon too.
    Unsure of exact model etc but it's a 2 yr old vehicle costing in excess of 70k (second hand).
    I know he was dissapointed with the range though... but appreciate 2 yrs is a long time in technology terms

Thanks
    Just doing a bit more research on all things electric and found this - it explains in detail how any electric vehicle works

Last edited by Gentreau; 16-07-18 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Embedded Youtube link

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sssdu01 For This Useful Post:

Adrian Jones (17-07-18), Gentreau (16-07-18), MadamBreakneck (16-07-18), paultheparaglider (17-07-18)

Thanks
    driving for economy as you would in any car.
    That is the main thing with an electric car. Driving for economy is really hard work in some of them and means either getting your head around how the control electronics for the regenerative braking works or just sticking it in "don't let me drive it any other way" eco mode. It's also rather incompatible with how other people drive in the UK, you need to leave large gaps to slow down gently into so that you NEVER touch the brakes. Learning how to drive like that is also very stressful as you're paying as much attention to the power usage gauges as you are to where you're going.

A 2012ish Leaf would get anywhere between 40 and 70 miles to a charge depending on who was driving it and what the climate control was doing and the I forget how old it is it's got a private plate on it i3 that replaced it does 50-80 depending on how you drive as long as you are either planning in advance and tell the aircon to cool it down whilst it's plugged in or are happy to melt to death. (Max Aircon mode will take 10% off your range by the time you get to the end of the road and it's dragged it down to merely rather warm).
    I've not driven the i3 extensively in the winter so have no idea how much power it takes to heat it but the Leaf would happily use at least as much power on the heater as it was to keep it moving along at 40mph.

In a light aircraft you're going to be less bothered about heating and cooling, especially in a microlight so range will be more consistent and mostly just about flying at the optimum speed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Just doing a bit more research on all things electric and found this - it explains in detail how any electric vehicle works

What a very enlightening explanation. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Thanks
    Dont want to start another argument about what is the "best" power source for electric aircraft, but as the internet is clever its now flagging up interesting stuff relating to electric aircraft.

This is one such item https://www.bsharktech.com//product/narwhal1 Yes its drones but an interesting parallel, as they need to same as use Micro boys with low weight and maximum endurance.