Thanks

wanting to fly...,

Hello all,

I have wanted to learn to fly for many years, and recently found out about the fixed wing microlight aircraft. I intended to to my PPL but was always put off by the cost. After reading more about micro lighting (fixed wing) I am learning that it is a far cheaper way to get up in the air in what resembles a proper aeroplane.

I would really appreciate any advice and helpful knowledge as to the true costs of training, where to train (im in Buckinghamshire).. is it all still a dream for people with lots of money or can the average joe really get involved... etc

Thanks

S

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by longmore1978 View Post
    ... to get up in the air in what resembles a proper aeroplane...

...I would really appreciate any advice and helpful knowledge...

Thanks

S
    Hi S, welcome to microlighting.

First bit of advice: go to the BMAA web site and find your nearest couple of microlight clubs. Visit them a couple of times each and meet the people there. That'll answer more questions than you could ever get on an internet forum.

Second bit of advice: within microlighting we all fly what we consider to be proper aeroplanes. You'll need to get used to that.

Third bit: get yourself a copy of Brian Cosgrove's book, The Microlight Pilot's Handbook - masses of essential knowledge packed in a small space.

There's a whole world of recreational aviation out there. Enjoy.

... and welcome to the forum.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Hello all,

I have wanted to learn to fly for many years... I am learning that it is a far cheaper way to get up in the air in what resembles a proper aeroplane.
    S
    ha ha, in the nicest possible way, you have a few surprises coming your way

As I and many other PPL holders have found, flying a microlight, especially the older 'rag and tube' types like the AX3 and Thruster, requires far more skill and airmanship (what used to be called 'pilotage') than punting around the skies in a spamcan like a Cessna or a Piper. Don't be misled by appearances.

It took me longer to learn to land an AX3 than it did a Cessna 150 and not only is flying 'in balance' more tricky, it's also much more challenging and satisfying when you master it. Few spamcan drivers have that skill because they don't need it and are rarely, if ever, taught it.

You will find out what we all know already. Any 3 axis microlight pilot can fly a spamcan - but the reverse is definitely NOT true

Best wishes to you and I hope that you do realise your aim of becoming a pilot - a REAL one in microlights

Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses. I didn't mean to class the micro light as a lesser aircraft .. bad choice of words. In my head it is a aircraft, just as technical as any other.

I will look into the local clubs and see what costs I can find for training. Does anyone have a ball park figure of the costs involved?? a rough guide??

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses. I didn't mean to class the micro light as a lesser aircraft .. bad choice of words. In my head it is a aircraft, just as technical as any other.

I will look into the local clubs and see what costs I can find for training. Does anyone have a ball park figure of the costs involved?? a rough guide??

Thanks
    I have previously been in the Cessna and Piper class of aircraft and now cutting my cloth accordingly so I am now moving towards the flexwing side of microlighting, I am very much a student in terms of flying a flexwing. I have decided on flexwing flying as it is the cheapest option to get airborne, I disagree with the words of the person who feels that microlight flying contains more 'pilotage'
    His statement sounds like a justification that he considers microlight pilots to be better pilots, I am not going to question his opinion on the basis that it is just one opinion.

I will throw my opinion into the mix & see what justification is given on my thoughts: if the microlight pilots licence can be acquired with lesser hours than needed for a Cessna or Piper licence I wonder why the better pilots are acquiring licences on lesser hours/training?
    Both syllabus work for the licences achieved, the Cessna or Piper licence is far more comprehensive or complex to achieve the required standards as there is far more content in the Cessna or Piper licence so I really feel that in a moment of grandeur the microlight licence is getting 'bigged up' as more than it really is.

Currently going through flexwing training I am finding it considerably easier to achieve results than I did in my Cessna or Piper training. ( I was a lot younger during the Cessna / Piper training so I had expected the flexwing training to be a bit harder in my advancing years but it is just so much easier ).

Defining the microlight as a lesser aircraft will never go down too well, in fact my flex instructor was very upset when a buddy of mine referred to the flexwing as an aerial moped.

Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses. ....what costs I can find for training. Does anyone have a ball park figure of the costs involved?? a rough guide??

Thanks
    You're looking at things through the wrong end of the telescope. You don't start by thinking about the 'total cost' - you start by thinking about what you can afford. And that's how much you spend, or if you're like the rest of us, just a little bit more because it's something you love and you're passionate about.

Some people can afford to fly 2,3 or more hours per month, others less and although the latter take longer to get their licences, their enjoyment along the way is no less than that of the former. It's flying for goodness sake, and if it's in your soul to do it, you do. If it's not, you don't or you fall by the wayside, as many do.

Which are you? Get yourself along to your local club where you'll find people who are already bitten by the bug. Be with them, talk to them, they'll have the time. If it bites you too you'll find a way. Believe me. We all did.

Thanks
    ballpark figure is dependant on what you want to buy aircraft wise , the hours you need to complete the training to the required standard as we are all different aptitude wise. i would guess any instructor will give you a rough figure with that in mind .. as has been said go to the airfield near you and have the craic with em ,most pilots want to help somebody who is interested in flying i find.. you can use afors or a lot of times people at the airfield know of planes for sale locally ..

couple of listings on afors now.

https://afors.com/aircraftView/44011

https://afors.com/aircraftView/43794

https://afors.com/aircraftView/43494

dave ..
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..