Thanks

hire a fixed wing.. ?

• Hi, Many thanks for all you replies to my previous thread. I have found out via one training provider that, I would need to buy a share in a aircraft before I could fly solo, (or use my own aircraft). Being honest Im not in the position to buy a £8k share into a aircraft nor purchase my own.! At least not at this stage of my life.

Can you train, obtain your licence and then choose to fly when you wish using a aircraft that is for hire or rent per/hour etc.... does this arrangement exist or have I got it all wrong and you still need a lot of money to start flying... Do you all have your own aircraft ? How do you all do it etc..

Many Thanks

Scott

Thanks
    You need to find a different flying school, as the offer you have been given is bordering on extortion. Different schools will let you train/solo/do GST/get 10 hours solo, in one of their training aircraft at whatever hourly rate you pay.

Once you have your licence you can get a 5% share in a modern three axis for about £2500 ( have seen "higher hour" Eurostar shares for as little as £1500). Renting by the hour is less common but if you buy a share in a more modern aircraft you can operate it all year round and its very affordable, as you should typically pay £40 to £50 per month then £40 to £50 per hour flown.

Thanks
    At a minimum, you can save up enough for an hour's flight then spend it. When you save up enough for another then you can take that. Each lesson is a flight which you can enjoy.

If you look around to find a club where you feel comfortable, you can spend time there for nothing more than whatever membership fee they charge. If you use that time to get to know and be trusted by qualified pilot members then you may be able to 'blag' the occasional passenger flight with them. I've even known school operators who gave the occasional discounted (or even free) lesson to student pilots who were helpful around the airfield.

You could even buy into an existing low-cost syndicate, train in that and also fly as passenger with qualified pilot members of the group. It's all flying and you can learn a lot as a passenger.

It all depends on why and how much you want to be airborne.

In answer to you question as posed: yes, it is possible to hire microlights, but whether or not any particular club chooses to allow that, as also conditions they might choose to impose on the use of their aircraft, depends entirely on their own business decisions. You can't just rock up and demand it...

.. and how do I do it (your other question) - I hold a 1/4 share in a Thruster TST which provides all the flying I desire.

Back to just bimbling

Thanks
    You can buy an aircraft outright for £3k upwards, AX3, AX2000, X-Air.

Even less for flex.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    You can and the best option would be a low cost share in a club owned and used aircraft. Couldn't really go any cheaper than this.

If you're keen to get into air craft ownership though - let me know if you're interested in a flexwing. I have something very nice for £1500.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by longmore1978 View Post
    Can you train, obtain your licence and then choose to fly when you wish using a aircraft that is for hire or rent per/hour etc.... does this arrangement exist or have I got it all wrong and you still need a lot of money to start flying... Do you all have your own aircraft ? How do you all do it etc.
    All of my flying so far has been like that, I did all my training and several hours since in my instructor's Thrusters. Though I'm hopefully buying a share in something shiny fairly soon

Given the cost of hiring an aircraft it doesn't take that many hours before buying something or a share in something (relatively) inexpensive is probably cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    To answer your last question.

I pay 80 EUR a year to be a member of a club in France.
    I pay 500 EUR per year membership of the FFPLUM, including insurance for ANY microlight which I am licenced to fly.
    I then pay 65 EUR per hour wet to rent the club aircraft which is one of these, replaced every 1000 ~ 1200 hours (which is approx. every 3 years)
    http://www.aeroservices.fr/-----------------------.html

At those prices it only becomes economical to buy a similar aircraft if I intend to fly over 150 hours per year !!
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentreau For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (07-08-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post

I pay 500 EUR per year membership of the FFPLUM, including insurance for ANY microlight which I am licenced to fly.
    I then pay 65 EUR per hour wet to rent the club aircraft which is one of these, replaced every 1000 ~ 1200 hours (which is approx. every 3 years)

At those prices it only becomes economical to buy a similar aircraft if I intend to fly over 150 hours per year !!
    That isnít particularly blindingly cheap.. If you fly 30 hours per year then it will cost you 84 euros per hour. I run a 100hp Skyranger Swift 2 syndicate limited to 15 that is non equity that works out almost exactly the same for 30 hours and will beat your costs for greater hours ( £40ph for additional hours). And thatís in expensive old brightly, includes VAT that I have to charge and I earn a Happy small profit out of it..

Thanks
    My Weedhopper in France. I pay 45€ per month to keep it in an open barn, 330€ a year for 3rd party and passenger cover and am getting about 12 litres/hour from 1.50€/litre 95 octane 50:1. I voluntarily pay something like 50€ a year to support FFPLUM and my insurance covers me to fly any of my 3 aircraft. I aim to sell my X-Air when I've finished gatting it ready and pay another 25€ a month to keep it in the same barn (so actually 35€ per month per aircraft) plus fuel, 15 litres/hour. No permit fees, no check flights (and fees), nada on top except consumables and maintenance, which I do myself.
    Ah, but I do provide my own fuel when I mow the runway.

Previously I paid nothing to keep my X-Air under covers on my previous airfield (Galinat) and I had to twist the owner's arm to allow me to help out by mowing the grass every now and again.

And don't forget, landing fees on ULM airfields are unknown - and even at nearly all of the larger airfields too.

Apologies in advance to Adrian for singing the praises of flying in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post

Last edited by Roger Mole; 08-08-18 at 08:57 AM.