Thanks

5 seconds to impact!

I know this is a bit pedantic, but I’m a fan of working with facts.... I’ve just read the leaflet that arrived with this months MF, from the airprox board.

Right across the front cover it says ‘5 seconds to impact’, then I open the front cover and it says ‘the average pilot needs anything from 9 to 12.5 seconds from spotting another aircraft...’. So is it 5 seconds, or 9-12.5 seconds?! I understand the message is the same, but wouldn’t consistency make the impact that bit greater?

And that brings me to the image on the front cover. One of two things are happening - either my aircraft is a Eurofighter and I’m rear-ending that Cessna at full chat, or he’s banking away from the correct course of action and turning LEFT to avoid a head on course.... I mean, wtf?!
    <Insert wit here>

Thanks
    Lucky you,I’m still waiting for my copy
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    What is this obsession with airprox. In 2016 there was only one airprox reported for every 1,000,000 commercial flying hours and no collisions. This was a typical year.

Even in general aviation there are usually no collisions each year. The difference between an airprox and an actual collision is astronomic. A statistical analysis will reveal that it is many orderers of magnitude.

We could all fly around with our eyes closed all day and never experience a collision (away from the circuit).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jones View Post
    We could all fly around with our eyes closed all day and never experience a collision (away from the circuit).
    But then, very sadly, here in France, two autogire pilots lost their lives last week in a crash between the two machine approx 5km from their club. But I agree with your viewpoint ... "the big blue sky" theory.
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Jetlag, this is the exception that proves the rule. I expect that they were flying together and took their eyes off the ball. Formation flying and circuit bashing are the only potentially dangerous times, statistically.

We should concentrate our efforts on what is overwhelmingly the most important phases for accidents. Take-off and landing.

Trouble is, once you invent a body like the UK Airprox Board, they have to be seen to be doing things. Then you get the annoying bigging up of the risk of collision and the production of expensive, "Five Seconds to Impact" leaflets distributed to all and sundry. It is then no wonder that Jo Public thinks that it is a real and everpresent danger.

Just like the public all think that airliner crashes are commonplace, because every single one is reported in the mass media.

Thanks
    I suspect, though don't know, that you are correct regards flying together.

p.s. My name is Phil, we have met and spent a little time in each others company.

Clue. "Prepare yourselves gentlemen for a precision landing" I was one of two on the ground that day, the handsome younger one.
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    I think the thing about airprox is that the people involved are around to report it afterwards, so airpox reports and investigations provide the best data available to understand the risk factors which lead to collisions.

It's all explained in much more detail [here]

Back to just bimbling