Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

GST approaching fast - What to expect?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and I'm posting for the first time. I have two solo hours left and then my instructor is putting me in for my GST. It's been on my mind now for a few weeks and I would really like someone to tell me step my step what to expect from arriving on the day to the oral exam and all the exercises...
    Any calculations I'll have to do? Also, how to work out the cross wind as I've been told I'll be asked to do that?
    Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hello Dave,

Enjoy your last 2 Solo hours. When your Solo flights are complete your instructor will do an hour or two with you for pre-GST training. In this training an Instructor will go through what will be expected of you during the test. It is basically just a matter of performing all the exercises from the course. I am sure you will be ready before the GST, and all that you need to prove is that you are safe and competent.
    Important to keep the wind direction in your mind and be conscious of its direction, it will be required for forced landing exercise and also for taking off and landing. Other calculations which may be asked could be about fuel and your endurance/range with reserve.

Best of luck,

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    I'd suggest as preparation to check through your copy of the flying syllabus (you do have a copy, don't you? or get one [here]) and if there's anything you don't feel comfortable about then ask your instructor to include it in the revision sessions which Damien has mentioned. Don't forget the elements included in Exercises 1 and 2

Then there's also the Ground Oral. Paul D describes the expectations [here] better than I ever could.

Remember to do your checks, fly safely, remember your emergency actions and don't scare your examiner - that's all.

Don't forget to tell us all on here how it went.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    Don't forget to tell us all on here how it went.

And don't forget to create a signature here so that your "first solo" badge is visible
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    when doing mine i didnt feel like the examiner was trying to trip me up or fail me tbh , he introduced one thing which i hadnt practiced which was a stall in decent (i had only done straight and level stalls) but i just thought about it for a second and went for it after all i had done decents and stalls so just combined em which was difficult to achieve with a flash 2 alpha it took me 2 goes as it just wouldnt stall lol. anther thing was the oral exam which was just an informal chat after the flight with some specific targeted questions of which i didnt know the answers to a couple so just told him i didnt instead of trying to blag it ,with that he ran through them with me and made sure i understood them and once he'd done that ,that was it .. a great experience that i was over worrying about as people told me i was but they where all qualified like i am now which is easy to say once its over and done..

another one was during my precautionary landing i didnt really establish any kind of circuit and just flew over at the given heights backwards and forwards ,he mentioned it to me on the ground and taught me something which i will never forget as with the questions i didnt know but do now..

try to relax and always always fly the plane no matter if there is a noise coming from the engine or not..

dave.
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Crosswind rule-of-thumb: 10degrees off straight ahead = crosswind component is one sixth of windspeed, 20 degrees = 2/6 (ie a third), 30 = 3/6 (ie a half), 40 = 4/6, 50= 5/6, 60 and over = 6/6 (ie fully crossed).

Thanks
    When doing my test I gave the examiner a running commentary when I was doing anything e.g practice forced landing I told him what field I was aiming for and that it was chosen as it had landing possibilities in front and behind if I messed up. Doing a steep turn I aborted as I could feel I was going into a spiral dive and I explained this as I was aborting and doing spiral dive recovery. Not sure if it helped or hindered but after about 20 mins he asked where the airfield was as we should head back, and after we landed he said I had passed

Expect to be a bit more nervous so you might forget something, but the examiner knows this and wont want to try and catch you out.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your response that's given me an idea of what to expect.
    I'll let you know how it goes when it eventually happens.

Thanks
    So I've completed my solo hours now, I have a day tomorrow to practice all my skills with the instructor and Friday is TEST DAY!!! Really hope the weather is on my side.

Thanks
    Good luck Dave! Might see you on Friday. Despite being as nervous as hell, I enjoyed my test with Barry. Just treat it like another lesson, he will.
    The best argument for the status quo is a five minute conversation with Russell Brand.