Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

RT question when receiving a service

I recently requested and received a MATZ penetration from Culdrose (Cornwall) so I could follow the coast round the Lizard point.

I was receiving a Basic service and reported reaching the exit of their MATZ as requested, at which point they suggested I call another station further along the coast for my onward journey.

Can anyone help with the phraseology I should have used as I wanted to do something other than suggested, leave their service and switch to a different frequency (in this case SafetyCom) to carry on to Bodmin.

I sort of fumbled my way through it but would like to do better next time.

TIA
    W
    "I thought you were supposed to be flying this thing, not pleasuring it."
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    If they simply "suggested" another frequency and service provider - you don't say who, but let's guess it was Plymouth Mil - then I'd just say "Roger, g-xxxx changing to enroute" and leave it at that.

It's unlikely, but they may have called Plymouth Mil on the landline to tell them about you, ie coordinating the handover, in which they would have said "contact Plymouth Mil". The word contact means that Plymouth Mil know about you. Otherwise they should say "free call Plymouth Mil".

If it was a formal coordinated handover, then yes you need to explain you don't want to do that. Just tell them in plain English what you want to do.

Having said all that, why did you want to change to Safetycom? Doesn't Bodmin have an air-ground frequency (which in any case you shouldn't use further than 10nm away from them)?
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks
    as has been said just say what you want to do ,as long as you spell it out in the queens english they or anybody else wont be expecting you where they suggest . after all they are there for you as well as policing their airspace .. normally all atc's in my experience are very helpful..
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    If they simply "suggested" another frequency and service provider - you don't say who, but let's guess it was Plymouth Mil - then I'd just say "Roger, g-xxxx changing to enroute" and leave it at that.

It's unlikely, but they may have called Plymouth Mil on the landline to tell them about you, ie coordinating the handover, in which they would have said "contact Plymouth Mil". The word contact means that Plymouth Mil know about you. Otherwise they should say "free call Plymouth Mil".

If it was a formal coordinated handover, then yes you need to explain you don't want to do that. Just tell them in plain English what you want to do.

Having said all that, why did you want to change to Safetycom? Doesn't Bodmin have an air-ground frequency (which in any case you shouldn't use further than 10nm away from them)?
    Thanks. It was only SafetyCom as I was in formation with another and it's what we'd pre-agreed. We switched to Bodmin after a bit of sightseeing over Fowey.
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiinit View Post
    as has been said just say what you want to do ,as long as you spell it out in the queens english they or anybody else wont be expecting you where they suggest . after all they are there for you as well as policing their airspace .. normally all atc's in my experience are very helpful..
    Agreed. They were good enough to accommodate us despite being very busy with helicopters on approach etc so I just wanted to keep things as efficient as possible.
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willjohnh View Post
    Thanks. It was only SafetyCom as I was in formation with another and it's what we'd pre-agreed. We switched to Bodmin after a bit of sightseeing over Fowey.
    Oh dear...
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (24-08-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Oh dear...
    And because??
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Martin Watson
    Oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by willjohnh View Post
    And because??
    Where to begin?...

Let's start with SAFETYCOM not being a "formation chat frequency"

Details here in the AIS

Look for the AIC number Y /14/2010 (in, unsurprisingly, the 2010 section), entitled "Common VHF Frequency For Use At Aerodromes Having No Notified Ground Radio Frequency - 'SAFETYCOM' "
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 24-08-18 at 16:17 PM. Reason: I realise my previous link to the AIC was blocked.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Ah - I see - so you've both incorrectly assumed I was using SafetyCom for A/A chat rather than being the default we go to for situational awareness of local airfield activity when touring, then switching to a destination airfield frequency at a pre-agreed point about 10miles/minutes out. Cheers for that.
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    Wasn't a great leap of assumption... 129.825 is like Channel 19 on CB on some days. A total joke.