Thanks

How narrow or wide is the weather window for Microlights?

Iím a paramotorist. Our weather wind is nil wind to 10mph max, with upper gust limits to 16-18mph. No rain and usual clear view of the ground.

How does that differ to the flex and fixed winged microlights?

Thanks
    Light rain is not a problem. Maybe carb-icing but I've not found that a problem. In medium rain it's wise to protect the prop by spinning it at as low a speed as possible to maintain safe flight. Especially a wooden prop.

A major difference between paramotoring and microlighting is that paramotor wings are basically one-speed flying machines, ignoring the effect of applying trailing edge reflex which I understand allows fairly small but important differences in paramotor speeds. My three axis microlight does have a reflex control lever! All microlights can be flown at a wide range of speeds at the choice of the pilot (some like the Chaser pictured left need a bit of a shove on the controls to achieve that). So there is always the choice of slowing down in rough air so that the ride is more comfortable. Can't do that so much with a paramotor.

There's no general rule as to what maximum wind and gust levels are appropriate for 'microlights' in general - whether they be fixed or flex-wing. Expect the same is true for different paramotor wing designs too. I think a good indication as to which particular microlight designs are likely to accept more 'lively air' would be their maximum safe flying speed - VNE. I'm not saying it's possible to fly at VNE speed in rough air - as would be explained if you went for your licence. Another way to compare machines would be to look at their wing loading specifications; the higher the loading (smaller wing) the more they are likely to ignore lively air.

Horses for courses.
    Last edited by Antoni; 28-08-18 at 03:47 AM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    In respect of 3 axis I think it depends on the aircraft type. Remember we are not experienced test pilots with a gazilion hours on 100's of different types !! So assuming an inexperienced person who hasnt been to the empire test pilots school, will find as an example a C42 has a higher crosswind limit then a Eurostar. I think this is due to the small ailerons fitted to the Eurostar (done I believe to allow big flaps for lower stall speed ??).

It may surprise new pilots how much bumpier it can get the faster you go, so the ability to slow it down, can make flying in bumpy conditions a lot more comfortable.