Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My 503/Mikuni set-up does not have a primer system at all. Tank at nominally the same height as carb. On arriving at the airfield the float bowl is always low or with just a smudge of smeggy oily stuff in it.

Why use that smeg at all? Why pour good fuel on top of what is in effect a distillation residue?

I always pull the simple wire retainer clip, chuck out the bowl contents and fill the bowl (overfill actually) with the Mr.Funnel sump contents (have to shake the funnel a bit). Only danger is the plastic anti-froth sleeve might drop out of the carb. In ten years it never has.

So no weight of extra pump and no weight/danger of bulb primer. Being a lazy bugger I do have experience of how the Mikuni fails over time; gradual lowering of delivery pressure. If you have a fuel pressure gauge great. If not the cruise EGT will rise and you risk engine failure after take-off, because that's when the pulses are weakest and also when fuel demand is very high. Ask me how I know!

Service the Mikuni regularly and trust it the same as your entire microlight power plant, ie just about as far as you can throw it.
    Last edited by Antoni; 14-11-18 at 14:53 PM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (14-11-18)

Thanks
    I'm assuming that like all good ULMistes you will have a fuel pressure gauge *

But seriously, on my Weedhopper I have fuel pressure, CHT and EGT and on my X-Air, fuel pressure, EGT and water temp. Mind you that isn't typical for over here judging by the crowd who were admiring my Weedhopper's panel at the Ste Foy la Grande fly -in a few weeks ago.

* some people don't like them because you have a tube full of fuel running down into your cabin behind the panel. I have never had a problem and why should you if you look after that in the same way as you do all the other tubing that's full of fuel in your cabin!

Thanks
    My understanding is that all PFA aircraft like mine had to have a fuel pressure gauge but my latest 2002 PFA Minimax was built without one and passed PTF without since ~2008. Now SSDR.

I really think the EGT gauge is more desirable on a two stroke than a fuel pressure gauge for various reasons including ones mentioned here (and it's lighter).
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    * some people don't like them because you have a tube full of fuel running down into your cabin behind the panel. I have never had a problem and why should you if you look after that in the same way as you do all the other tubing that's full of fuel in your cabin!
    If you retrofit a fuel pressure gauge in the UK you have to have a lot of restriction in the T piece that allows that pressure to be measured, if the hose fails the fuel would be a very slow drip.

Last time I replaced the same tubing in the X-Air it had the fuel loving slime in it.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"