Thanks

Quik GTR, with winglets or without

Hi,is there anyone on here with a Quik GTR or QuikR
    Have you flown with and/or without. What’s the difference you’ve experienced please.

I’ve flown a Quik for several years but now have a 4 year old GTR (200hours) and a few tips before I go for a blast would be nice especially on the pros and cons for with/without the winglets.

And if you flew a Quik before your GTR a few landing tips

Thanks
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Well done on the GTR Andy, is it a new machine or wing change?
    Can't help with your question but maybe you could give us your thoughts when you do take her for a blast!

Thanks
    Not being greedy, but it’s another aircraft, so now I have 2.
    I advertised for just a wing but got board of waiting.

I’ll fly them both and if I like the GTR wing, then I’ll swap the wings over and sell the GTR Explorer with my Quik wing.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Handling might be improved with the very slightly longer pull back bridle that P&M use on GTR wings fitted to Hyper trikes.

A local instructor has tried this and is happy with the improvement he got to a GTR wing on a Quik trike (no Explorer upgrade).
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Hi Andy. I have not posted before, so Hi. I am a flexwing jockey with some (gulp) 23 years flying them under my belt. I currently fly a QuikR but had a Quik, a Quantum and a Q. So to the question. I initially flew the QuikR without wingtips. My first long flight (to the Pyrenees, not in one go) was solo. I encountered some scary winds but was fine. It handled about as well as my Quik when 2 up, so not as zippy on banking etc, but seemed to handle bumps better. It did not seem as directionally stable as advertised, needing constant correction albeit small inputs. 2 up and fully loaded it handled better than the Quik 2 up and is more comfortable for the passenger and better at keeping in a straight line. Lands in cross winds no problem, but will float in nil headwind more than the Quik did. I needed to take account of that getting into short strips. Climbout was better though than the Quik when both were 2 up and heavy. After a few hundred hours I put the tips back on. I found it was easier to fly in a straight line, it went through bumps really well and was more stable in turbulence. I have a fuel flow meter and it seems to have a better fuel burn by about 15%. This may be because it trimmed a bit faster for the same rpm. The down side was it seems to float even more on landing and speed control on approach and roundout is critical. That being said, get it right and it will land in about as short a strip as a Quik
    Now the big downside. In crosswinds on landing, the tips can "lock" the wing making it harder to turn. It is quite scary on narrow short strips. The crosswinds may be quite strong (15 mph plus) but it never had this effect wingtips off. I also noticed you drift more with the tips on with a crosswind, so increasing the chance of a side swipe on the wheels when landing because it takes more effort and power to fly straight at the critical touch down point. I also think it is more susceptible to being blown over if the wing tips are on. My QuikR was blown over in France last August. First time this has happened in all my years flying and I was right next to the plane when it happened, hanging onto the wing strut. The wind pushed the wing up and the tip acted as an extra lever pushing the wing tip up even higher allowing the wind to get right under the wing. Result, one upside down aircraft and some serious wallet injury.
    So, there are upsides and downsides. For long distance touring 2 up with all the gear, wingtips on make everything a bit easier but you need to be really careful with cross winds and ground handling. Solo, I would probably go without the wingtips. If I was nearly always flying solo, I would go back to the Quik
    After my recent repair, the wing is now on the back hole, with wingtips and a small mod done by Dr Brookes to the batons. Climb rate is now scary at about 1900ft/min solo, but landing seems a little easier to handle. Cruise also good one up with 95 mph indicated at 4200 rpm with about 15L/hr burn
    I hope that helps

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Green For This Useful Post:

andy dixon (23-11-18), Arielarts (24-11-18)

Thanks
    That’s an absolutely fantastic answer thanks.

My absolute "pet hate" is the bar moving about ......I totally hate it,hence I was hoping the GTR may just be the answer

90% of my flying is 2 up. 15 stone in the front and either 7 stone in the back or 14 stone in the back.