Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Flexwing Gloves for Winter - recomendations please

I use some unbranded winter cycling gloves for flying open clockpit, and have never had any issues with them being too hot or too cold so far.
    However, 30 mins in 6 degrees this week and my fingers were really cold. I think it was just where my fingers were sat at the front of the bar.

When I first started training I used my instructors flying gloves but found them way too bulky, and had to take them off to operate switches etc, so I dont want anything too thick.

So I'm after recomendations? Dont want heated. Something warm and windproof for approx 20, but without being too bulky, that I could fly for 1-2 hours in temps down to zero.

Or is the problem just wind chill, and I'd be better off sticking with what I have and getting some bar mitts to use at the same time to take the wind chill off?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Bar mitts work very well but restrict hand movement along the bar and access to the ppt is difficult. But ... they do the job. I have a choice of thinner gloves I use with the mitts and thicker gloves without the mitts. Thicker gloves do make radio controls more difficult but using a stylo you can enter the frequency directly into the radio without using the knobs. I also pass a fair amount of time in really cold weather with either only one hand on the bar, or neither, the free hand(s) resting on my knees out of the wind. Great advantage with the cold weather is very little turbulence. With temps at or near zero on the ground I have flown and taken photos at 2000' to 3000' for periods of near 3 hours. Feet were cold though. Maybe you need Readybrek for breakfast
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    I use heated bar grips (oxford, sold in motorcycle shops) and neoprene bar mitts, this combo enables a thin pair of gloves to be used so no probs with radio etc...

Thanks
    I used the Gerbing heated stuff and have been roasty toasty at over 7k with it being -5 on the ground. I tried a few options before the heated gear and the best of the bunch was fairly thin windproof ski gloves in combination with bar mitts.... but I really hated using bar mitts. Maybe if I persevered with them I might've got used to them but .. not for me.

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Looks like I might have to try some bar mitts first before trying to find some reallly warm gloves.
    Are they easy enough to take off and put on at the end of the day, as I need to derig each time. I assume they just velcro on?

Thanks
    Hi I also use
    Gerbing heated stuff never had a problem keeping warm but I find a lot of radio interference was caused. I solved it by running all the gear off a stand alone 7 AH battery it runs the gear for around 6 hours with no interference.

Nigel
    Another day at the office

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newflyer17 View Post
    Thanks,
    Looks like I might have to try some bar mitts first before trying to find some reallly warm gloves.
    Are they easy enough to take off and put on at the end of the day, as I need to derig each time. I assume they just velcro on?
    The control bar slides through the neoprene type so taking a bar end off is required, the ozee type bar mitts are velcro enabling quick/easy removal.
    You would probably struggle to use heated bar grips with the velcro type as the room inside the mitt would be reduced therefore not leaving much for your hand.

Thanks
    It can't be denied that bar mitts of any type take the wind off your hands or gloves, and therefore offer another level of warmth.

Some don't like them because they don't offer a tight, solid grip. If so, you're gripping too tight and are going to suffer in turbulence.

I use Gerbings, I've had no problem with interference. I have the correct size of capacitor fitted to my 912, and a power line filter in the supply to my Lynx interface.

I have the Ozee type bar mitts that Velcro on, combined with Gerbings. My Gerbings are hybrids so can run from their own batteries or off the +12V. Sometimes I fly with the batteries and don't use them, just insurance in case i need a small heat tickle at altitude.

A fantastic range of solutions offered here by everyone.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    I've got a pair of glovii rechargeable gloves for the last few years and no bother, they even replaced a battery free outside of warranty!
    You get about 3-4 hours from a full charge and i only use them at low power.

www.glovii.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got a pair of Canadian Snow Mobile racing gloves during the summer. They are wind and water proof, made of leather and are 3 fingered, so I look like the Penguin when wearing them. I got them online at a reduced sale price. I have flown with them a couple of times and they are very warm, I also use Ozee Bar Mits only whilst in the cruise. I move the bar mitts to one side for take off and landing. Between the two, my hands stayed warm. I was out flying for a couple of hours on Monday and I was like the Michelin Man, 3 layers of clothing, 4 layer flight suit, and a winter jacket, balaclava, helmet, thick socks and hiking boots. My feet started to get cold first after an hour in the air. But my hands and torso stayed warm.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (30-11-18)