Thanks

Homebuild Fixed Wing Microlight

Hello

My name is Jeff and I am currently doing my NPPL in Cornwall. I have been looking for a fixed wing microlight for sometime but nothing has tickled my fancy or too expensive. I came across this website https://www.flyer.co.uk/homebuilding/ and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with homebuilding and how I go about choosing the right one and how I go about getting a kit together? I have a budget of around 30,000 to 40,000 which I hope will be enough although more is available but prefer not to annoy the Mrs.

I can tell you guys a little bit about myself and what my background is so I am 44 years of age and been flying a C42 which is great to fly, I have been a vehicle engineer for 25 plus years with experience in all aspects of vehicle repair, service and maintenance, and garage owner for the last 15 years. I would like to find a kit to build that is of the equivalent of a C42 if that is possible.

If I have high ambitions please tell me. lol

Kindest regards

Jeff

Thanks
    Skyranger without a doubt if you really want to build. I think you can build a C42 from a kit . Certainly that used to be the case.

But don't think that building is a cheaper option than buying second hand. And it will take you a very long time that you could be using for flying. With your budget you've got loads of options in the second hand market.

Keep looking on afors until you get a feel for things
    https://afors.com/index.php?page=bro...=TAXI&cat=SALE
    There's lots more types out there that you may find more fun than the C42 or a C42-clone . And cheaper too.
    https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1
    Last edited by Martin Watson; 03-12-18 at 09:48 AM.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Martin. If I were looking for a kit does one contact the manufacture and ask if they supply kits or is there a specific website dedicated to supplying kits that are available?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffnudd View Post
    Thanks for the reply Martin. If I were looking for a kit does one contact the manufacture and ask if they supply kits or is there a specific website dedicated to supplying kits that are available?
    You need to approach the UK importer if its an overseas manufactured kit. If there isn't a UK importer then the aircraft probably isn't legal in the UK.

The Skyranger is from Flylight at Sywell, Northants. One reason its so popular is that the after sales service is so good.

The BMAA (british microlight aircraft association) publish a list of all kits and factory built microlights in their monthly magazine. You really need to be a member anyway! There's a copy of it on their website here: https://www.bmaa.org/files/mf_buyers_guide_1817.pdf

Note also that the LAA (light aircraft association) are the main organisation offering support to home-builders (of all types of permit aircraft,including microlights). You probably need to be a member of the LAA too.

Incidentally, I just had a look at the Flyer article you linked to in your OP - its a good introduction and has some other useful links.
    Last edited by Martin Watson; 03-12-18 at 11:54 AM.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks
    Thanks Martin I'll take a look. Really appreciate your help. I am gald there is support for the homebuilder.

Thanks
    Hi Jeff
    Building a kit is a project which takes a big chunk out of your life, but your background implies that the project will be a pleasure in its own right.

As to which aircraft to go for, I always suggest that people make sure they know what sort of flying they want and what you want to do with your aircraft, such as touring, passenger carrying, competitions, or even "just being up there!". Try to get a flight (even as a "passenger manipulating controls") to get a feel for what's available out there.

My current flying mount is [this] which I share with my husband and a couple of friends. I've also had a lot of fun in some of [these]. Some people make a project of buying a tired one and restoring it to pristine condition, eg. [G-MYRO].

Whatever path you choose in your flying, welcome to microlighting

Back to just bimbling

Thanks
    Thankyou. I am looking forward to buying my first microlight. My plan is to either build my own which like mentioned above takes me away from actually flying or buying a good used aircraft. All I am interested in at the moment is being up there and building hours and once I feel confident I will most probably move onto my PPL.

Thanks
    My advice is buy a 'good' used machine and fly. In doing so you will not only gain the flying hours you seek but you will also get to know how an aircraft is 'put together' (and how it wears and tears).
    Given your budget I would look for a Skyranger circa 20K (Rotax 912, good skins, low hours etc - your closest BMAA permiter (you are a member of the BMAA?) can advise.
    Keep that aircraft for a couple of years, look after it and then either sell it (you will still get circa 20K) and buy a kit or carry on flying having saved yourself 10K.
    Regards
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffnudd View Post
    Thankyou. I am looking forward to buying my first microlight. My plan is to either build my own which like mentioned above takes me away from actually flying or buying a good used aircraft. All I am interested in at the moment is being up there and building hours and once I feel confident I will most probably move onto my PPL.

Thanks
    I took the advice and bought an Ikarus C42 2006. I was worried that a kit might take forever to build and flying hours would suffer. I took my instructor up with me to take a look with me and he reassured me that is was good. Even though it has a lot of hours it has had new wing skins and a top end overhaul. I have been told the C42 won't lose money because the C42 seems to be increasing in value. I am very pleased I went this way and hope to build as many hours as I can.

Thanks
    Congratulations on your purchase Jeff.3 of us bought a c42 last week and love it,especially the heater.