Hemel Hempstead, but hopefully Suffolk by the end of 2018
    Thanks

Typical cost to hanger a three axis?

I'm looking to buy a minimax or similar - what should I expect to pay for hangerage, say on a farm strip?

Thanks
    Quite a few views but no reply, so:
    The answer depends on where you are, or more precisely, where the hangar is, what airfield facilities there are, and how salubrious the hangar is. There's clearly a wide range - say somewhere between 50 and 250 per month.

Hemel Hempstead, but hopefully Suffolk by the end of 2018
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    Quite a few views but no reply, so:
    The answer depends on where you are, or more precisely, where the hangar is, what airfield facilities there are, and how salubrious the hangar is. There's clearly a wide range - say somewhere between 50 and 250 per month.

Thanks MB, thats useful to know. If I can wing fold and trailer it to and from my garage, what are the typical cost to then fly from an airfield?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you really want to rig and de-rig for every flight, then your costs would be membership of the club only. Membership varies widely, but I can think of two examples at 35 and 100 PA.
    G-BZNP Still not dead

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was paying 1,000 per year in my first Hangerage arrangement. It was a lovely Farm Strip, 500 meters grass, Hangers were good, one aircraft per bay so you had direct access to the door and could just pull your aircraft out without moving aircraft around. However it was a 1 hour commute each way cross country on smaller roads. I moved after a few years when I got the offer to hanger my Skyranger at a small farm strip with one other guy, same cost, 1,000 per year, and just 30 mins away. It was very basic hangerage, but secure. The Strip was very tight, 240 meters with high hedges on each threshold. We didn't get many visitors However a guy who lived not far away made several complaints to the local council and ended up having the strip closed down. I then moved back to the original strip, sold the Skyranger, bought a Pegasus XL462 and was invited to another strip, 30 mins away from me in the opposite direction. Again a private small tight farm strip with basic hangerage which was secure, same cost 1,000 per year.
    I then got the opportunity to move my Quantum to a strip which was just 15 mins from my house, large 600 meters GA Farm Strip, grass runway with great large hangers and good facilities. It even has a bar. However I have to move around 4 to 5 aircraft around in order to get mine out which is a pain in the neck, sometimes literally. Spam Cans, thankfully there is a nice smooth concrete floor. I am getting a very good deal, paying a little more than previous arrangements, however as I am the only Flexwing hangered there and my position in the hanger does not take up much floor space I am paying around only half of what the other GA pilots are paying.

It is hard in the beginning to get sorted out. Even if you have to travel a little it is still worth it. And once you start spreading your wings make a point of calling into strips all over. Always do it right, PPR, even sometimes bring some biscuits. Get to know other Microlight pilots at other strips and build up a network. In that way when hanger spaces become available at other strips you may be offered first refusal.

Best of luck,

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Thanks
    It's hangar, not hanger (sorry...)
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

damienair (Today)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damienair View Post
    ....However I have to move around 4 to 5 aircraft around in order to get mine out which is a pain in the neck, sometimes literally.
    Damien
    I pay over 1300 for hangarage. Admittedly it's a huge hangar at a big airfield with lots of runways but can still sometimes have to shove 4 or 5 other flexwings out the way to get out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    sometimes have to shove 4 or 5 other flexwings out the way to get out.
    so it was YOU who shoved MY aircraft out of the way of YOUR aircraft.

Well let me tell YOU that I had to wash the windscreen of MY aircraft because of YOUR fingerprints on it.

[Alright it needed cleaning anyway]
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Martin, Ooooppppsssss. All these years and only now realise why spell check was putting red lines under my error. Hangar it is. And no red line anymore. Don't apologise, I'm actually genuinely glad to have been corrected. Red spell check alerts for apologise and realise, as I use an s instead of a z.

Damien.
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When Microsoft or whatever other software tries to impose Americanised spelling, you can right click on the underlined word and select 'add to dictionary'. This teaches the software how to spell in the English language. I just did it with "Americanised".

Apologies for off topic comment.
    G-BZNP Still not dead