Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Just about to throw the towel in

Hi, really struggling learning in a C42. I have now over 40 hours and still not solo. The instructor has been talking about solo for over 20 hours...but still nothing. Iím now really looking at options as for the money spent to date I could have bought a nice motorbike....for an existing licence. Unless I can get any useful ways to get around this I think that is the best option. I have done lots of x-wind landings but few on calm days due to weather. I am now losing confidence and actually feel I would fly better without an instructor next to me.....any ideas? Many thanks

Thanks
    Trust me, we all go through this. Learning to fly is not an easy thing to do, and there are so many factors that mean itís not really fair to suggest 25 hours is all itíll take - very, very few pilots qualify with hours close to that. Age plays a part in your ability to absorb and process new information (and thereís lots of it), and then the UK weather really is not conducive to making it easy.

There are a few instructors out there who might drag things out for their own benefit, but having had instruction from maybe 8 different instructors over the years, my experience tells me that even when I was feeling dejected and like I wasnít making progress, their assessment of my abilities at that point was spot on in hindsight, and your instructor only wants to send you solo when youíre current, youíve just had a good hours circuits with him/her, thereís not much traffic about and the weather is as benign as it gets. You can see that opportunities for that, particularly in winter, are few and far between.

That said, the sweetest fruit takes the longest to ripen, and when your time comes (and given youíve put your time in at 40 hours, your commitment isnít the issue), youíll relish it all the more. Stick with it Captain-to-be. The freedom, exhilaration, comradarie and fun to be had is worth it when you get there!

Thanks
    D Flyer gives good advice. It's not meant to be easy for good reason and your instructor can't send you solo until you are ready.
    To speed things up make sure you spend time between lessons reviewing what you're learning and what comes next. Strangely, learning to fly actually happens on the ground - the flying lessons just put it into practice.
    But ultimately it's up to you - do you want it enough to put the effort in?
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks
    How often do you fly ? Once a month will take an eternity as you will spend half your time just relearning. My advice would be to save up and then book 2 or 3 lessons per week. You will have a few cancelled due to weather but having lessons close together will accelerate your learning.

Thanks
    Iíve just started, having one lesson a week weather depending just now. Do yous think Iíll be able to get my licence this year? To the op chin up, donít know enough about flying to help but if youíve spent all that money to stop now would be an absolute waste

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner1 View Post
    ... I am now losing confidence and actually feel I would fly better without an instructor next to me.....any ideas? Many thanks
    I wonder... I had a student like that once. He was taking ages to get those last few step to solo - then one day I noticed that he flew better when I stopped trying to 'help' him so we made an agreement that I'd shut up unless things were getting dangerous (I actually pretended to put my thumb in my mouth). Although there were a few 'interesting' moments, his flying really settled down and he started to make good progress and now has his licence.

Any decision to stop or to carry on has to be yours (and making decisions like that is part of what being a pilot is all about), but I'd suggest you stick with your goal until this depressing winter weather has passed and the Spring has arrived. Everybody's mood improves then - well nearly everybody's

Good luck, and I hope you feel content with whatever decision you do make.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Been flying microlights for a while now and along the way I've heard and agree that post-solo, the learning experience is very different. Faster and less stressful!

[Except when it wasn't]

The instructor has a concience and a reputation to keep, and will need to be sure those will be safe before allowing a student's solo flight.

It was just the same with my driving instructor back in the eighties. He proudly told me that all of his students pass first time. That boast made him careful of telling me when to book a test.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the responses, really helpful. I get what everyone states about the instructors responsibilities etc, however there needs to be some thought too for the student. If you are told 20+ hours ago you are a few more lessons from solo...and nothing happens an expectation has been set. If I was slamming it into the tarmac every flight, or ballooning then I would agree, after all it was the same instructor who taught me for the first20 hours...so he should know what I am and am not capable of by then. The instructor says I am safe and no danger to others, but landings need more consistency which I get.

Iím not searching for excuses just inspiration, I think madambreakneck gave a great solution, just let me fly the plane, then debrief when we are parked up.i am booking weekly and have been flying for 18 months so quite regular.

My other thought is having a go on a the Microsoft simulator, does anyone have experience of this and would it help?

Many thanks for all the input, I know there is no silver bullet

Thanks
    Have you thought about a 2nd opinion from another instructor?
    perhaps you and your current one are 'missing' something obvious?

Although i don't think you state the reasons you are not solo. Have you discussed in depth with him/her?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner1 View Post

My other thought is having a go on a the Microsoft simulator, does anyone have experience of this and would it help?

t
    Definitely not. No. Non. Niet. Nein.

It will make things worse at your stage. A good flight simulator can be useful if it's integrated with your training under the guidance of your instructor (Madame Breakneck can tell you much more, she designed and built one that we both used with students). But Microsoft Flightsim is nowhere near realistic enough.
    You need to spend a lot of money on the kit too- money you'd be better using on flying lessons.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (20-01-19)