Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Thanks
    Oh of course youíre quite right! None of the above was ever a substitute for anything other than doing the best flying possible. As a radio presenter itís just a side note on something Iím passionate about - quality audio. Thanks Joan for watching!

Thanks
    Just a short video!

Thanks
    I thought you were going to go places on this video Ben! Oh well, let's wish for better conditions for your real mini solo navex. Thanks for the video, more learnt and half forgotten stuff refreshed for me.
    The sound seems back to normal by the way.

Thanks

New Videos!

Hey! Today I passed my nav exam and have recently flown a dual nav ex with my instructor. Some amazing light going on - particularly in second vid. See below....plus - a link to my main channel page- if you haven't done so yet - please do subscribe here >
    http://www.youtube.com/benatkinsonvideos

Cheers

Ben

Thanks
    Just back from Easter hols... watched your first vid as far as your landing. Welcome to 'proper flying'

Interestingly, I learned on small grass strips and my first attempts at big runways had me rounding out too high and too slow, so plopping in heavily - just the opposite of you with your big runway experience and rounding out too low and too fast on a short grass strip.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Thanks
    Flying after a month off! Really enjoyed being back up ....let me know what you think...!

Thanks
    Well done.

It takes most people a lot of time to come to terms with crossed controls in cross-wind take-offs and landings... don't fear; it is allowed to touch down on one wheel in a crosswind.

See a fuzzy old video of a demo I did [here] quite close to the crosswind limit; keep it tracking straight down the runway with aileron and heading straight down the runway with rudder (remembering the secondary effect interactions between them).

Joan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    Well done.

....... (remembering the secondary effect interactions between them).
    Have to completely disagree Joan.

I'd say there is absolutely no time to remember anything in a lively cross-wind landing or take-off using crossed controls.

It's a bit like learning to ride a unicycle. There's no useful advice from anyone on how to begin, you just have to try it. With a unicycle it would be moving forward between a pair of warehouse storage racks until your body understands it. Your brain probably never will. With a three-axis it might be playing with a flight-sim then tentatively trying the real thing under supervision. Reckon the flying is a lot easier than the unicycling. Same mental process.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Hi Antoni
    I can't ride a unicycle so can't argue that point. I can (or could) ride a bicycle though, and I have successfully taught crosswind landing techniques.

My own view is that a reminder of the secondary effects removes some of the confusion encountered by student pilots when trying to handle crosswinds, especially in microlights. A bit of theory usually helps in the early stages of learning.

I do agree that once the pilot is doing it naturally without having to involve rational thought, then they'll be able to handle gusty (or gutsy) crosswinds closer to the aircraft's limit, and not before.

Be interesting to have views from others (instructor or otherwise) on this topic.