Thanks

How the other half live

Hello all,

This week our London Colney airfield were visited by members of the Helicopter Club of Great Britain. They flew in to us so that they could go to the De Havilland Mosquito museum that is next to our field. I videoed them arriving and leaving, and put the video up on Youtube. Here's a link to it.

https://youtu.be/7UVPaDk_sQo

Only 7 of them turned up, but that was enough. Those monsters take up a lot of room in the air and on the ground, and you can see what they did to the newly harvested crop next to the runway when one of them decided to go for a photo shoot over the museum. As he lifted away he backed over the newly mown straw and created a golden cloud of bits that flew everywhere.

What interested me was that out of the 7 helos that turned up, 4 of them were jet powered, and only the 3 smaller ones were piston powered. So there was some serious money parked on our runway for the afternoon, and for me it was indeed a glimpse of how the other half live.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (27-07-19)

Thanks
    Hope they got PPR and paid an appropriate landing fee.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (27-07-19)

Thanks
    Joan,

The visit was arranged months in advance. The landlord's agents had to agree to it before we could allow them in, but they were OK about it, so in they came. Yes, we did have someone on hand with a radio, and he guided them all in and out again on the day. As for a landing fee, we don't charge a landing fee, but I think they have made a donation to club funds all the same.

Thanks

DH 88 Comet Racer 'Grosvenor House'

I don't know if you're aware of it, but tomorrow (Saturday, 27th) the Comet 88 racer 'Grosvenor House' will be doing a display between 10am and 10.30am over the Mosquito museum. Apparently they've been given permission to fly as low as 200 ft over the museum, so I'm hoping to get some film of the Comet as it thunders over 05 at 200 ft to buzz the museum tomorrow morning, weather permitting that is. It's due to be wet underfoot by 10am, so here's hoping that it won't be raining during the display.

Of course, if there happen to be microlights on the ground by 9.45am tomorrow at LC then whoever arrives in them will get a good view of the action, and I'm sure there'll be someone there with a radio to welcome them to our humble little field. However, whoever does come in must be aware that all aircraft movements must stop by 9.45am, and not resume till after the display has finished and 'Grosvenor House' has returned to Old Warden.

Thanks
    I forgot to say earlier that we normally use 129.830 as our airfield frequency, but I'll endeavour to monitor the Safetycom frequency as well in the morning, just in case anyone calls on that.

Thanks
    As I've said elsewhere on the forum, it rained this morning, and it was heavy enough to deter me from going up to the airfield to see if the Comet Racer did its display. I doubt if it did somehow, as I can't imagine the people at Old Warden letting their immaculate Comet out into pouring rain. Hopefully they didn't and they reschedule. If that is the case then I might let you all know about it so that others can join me in watching one of these graceful aircraft moving swiftly around the sky.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (27-07-19)