Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    I rather like this take on lookout [here] - when looking out, give your eyes time to see... "Think bike!". A good way to practice is on the ground: as soon as you hear an aircraft approaching (airborne), just see how long it takes to find it and how far away it is when you first see it. It's even more difficult in the air because traffic might be below, climbing towards you and lost against ground features whilst you are hidden from the other pilot by some of their cockpit structure. A good example, with typically varied YouTube comments [here]
    Watched that vid a few times now and canít belive how quickly that other aircraft appears.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubhoy View Post
    Watched that vid a few times now and can’t belive how quickly that other aircraft appears.
    Indeed. Actually, as long as you are looking out in the right direction it's not that bad in the real world, even HD video isn't as good as real eyes. Also, the conflicting aircraft was lower, so just below the horizon.

But it brings back the point in Ben's video - get those eyeballs and neck muscles working... and THINK BIKE - the time it talkes to say that is the minimum time you should give your eyes and brain to see after they've settled. Those of you still learning - ask your instructor to comment on your lookout (if they aren't already doing so). Airborne lookout is a learned skill.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    Indeed. Actually, as long as you are looking out in the right direction it's not that bad in the real world, even HD video isn't as good as real eyes. Also, the conflicting aircraft was lower, so just below the horizon.

But it brings back the point in Ben's video - get those eyeballs and neck muscles working... and THINK BIKE - the time it talkes to say that is the minimum time you should give your eyes and brain to see after they've settled. Those of you still learning - ask your instructor to comment on your lookout (if they aren't already doing so). Airborne lookout is a learned skill.
    You're absolutely right. Must look out more and taking the time for the eye to adjust to that part of the landscape etc is vital, seemingly! Interesting about that THINK BIKE quote. That plane does come so quickly - but also interesting that wide angle lenses help accentuate distance too...and make things harder to see - no matter how HD they are. Interesting though.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    Engine Failure Training...

Thanks
    Hey Ben - another great video, well done! I must admit it made me smile when David said Ďshall we use that landing stripí and you couldnít spot it, while alongside it! Donít be too hard on yourself for that, I remember being overhead the airfield I was looking for, with planes on the ground, and I still missed it! Practise will pay off - it takes a little skill to see things from the air sometimes... keep em coming!

Thanks
    Hi Ben! I really enjoy your videos which remind me so much of my training (and blow some of the cobwebs off). I must say, you are doing far better at it than I did!
    It's impossible to judge 3D on a 2D screen - slopes - but the other thing that struck me was that I would've been picking the brown fields initially because there is no or very young crop in them. Again, I couldn't tell if they were furrowed but you would have seen that. The British Gliding Association have some really good field landing information here: https://members.gliding.co.uk/librar...field-landing/
    (I hope you and others can see that). Looking forwards very much to your next one!

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes, looking for stuff from a few thousand feet really is a different skill to learn, even airstrips arenít easy hahah!

Aerial: thanks for sending that link. Yes, a good point - some fields were rougher than others but it needs plenty of practice still! Yeh, especially the wide angle lens. The feels look miles away but weíre almost underneath us!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BenAtkinsonUK For This Useful Post:

Aerial (28-02-19)

Thanks
    Enjoying the videos, Ben. Thanks for making the effort. That's one good instructor you have!
    The best argument for the status quo is a five minute conversation with Russell Brand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurG View Post
    Enjoying the videos, Ben. Thanks for making the effort. That's one good instructor you have!
    Pleasure mate! Glad youíre enjoying them ...! Yeh heís great isnít he!

Thanks

First solo alert!

OMG what a feeling.