Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My basic advice would be to stick at it. If it was easy then any idiot could do it. You need to be a special kind of idiot to do it well.

Is it a school aircraft? I've always wondered if instructors came down a bit more on the side of caution if the pupil was learning in a school aircraft.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post

Is it a school aircraft? I've always wondered if instructors came down a bit more on the side of caution if the pupil was learning in a school aircraft.
    Well yes, we do need a useable aircraft back at the end of the flight...

But the amount of hassle if a school aircraft gets broken is pretty much the same as if it's the student's aircraft, to be serious for a moment. So there isn't any difference - either way the first solo happens when the student is ready, is in a good state on the day ( not tired etc), has flown well that day, the weather is good, and so on. Lots of ducks to be lined up.

As was said earlier - if you are unsure why things are how they are, ask your instructor.
    Last edited by Martin Watson; 19-01-19 at 20:24 PM.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Yes itís a school aircraft, however, I have never had a heavy landing and have learnt to go around if I am not happy....the main comments seem to be consistency....due to weather etc Iím better when there is a cross wind etc, as that is what I have largely flown in, very few calm straight down the runeay flights

Thanks
    Well yes - your instructor won't be happy to let you solo until they know you can consistently do a circuit to the required standard.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Well yes, we do need a useable aircraft back at the end of the flight...

But the amount of hassle if a school aircraft gets broken is pretty much the same as if it's the student's aircraft, to be serious for a moment. So there isn't any difference - either way the first solo happens when the student is ready, is in a good state on the day ( not tired etc), has flown well that day, the weather is good, and so on. Lots of ducks to be lined up.
    Appreciate it's a different discussion but I was being serious.

Initially, when I was a student my instructors aircraft wasn't insured for solo students. As it happens, it didn't matter because I went elsewhere and went solo then bought my own aircraft for all the solo consolidation work. Should I have asked the question beforehand? Perhaps in hindsight but......

Gyrocopter students used to have to put up a hefty bond before going solo. I'm aware of a few gyro pilots who've mysteriously become far more consistent and competent and reached solo standard not long after buy, or buying into, a share of an aircraft.

Like I say, I wasn't meaning to be flippant but just wondered if in other circumstances it played any part.

Anyhow... stick at it

Thanks
    20 extra hours after apparently being led to beleive you were almost ready for solo seems a little extreme especially in a quite forgiving aircraft as the c42, appreciate weather/aircraft availability/personal or instructor availabilty all play a part.
    Have you had a conversation with your instructor to better understand why you haven't yet reached solo status if you think your ready?

Thanks
    Learner1
    I have sent you a PM
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Hey, take charge of your life. Go get checked out by another instructor. Don't tell them why. Just do it. It's your life, your money and it will ultimately be your licence. Being a pilot is all about being in charge and making decisions. Don't fall at the first hurdle. Good luck.
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 20-01-19 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Apparently my circuits and general flying are ďvery goodĒ I have a tendency to have my head in the cockpit as I like to ensure the numbers are right, but have proved with all the instruments covered up I still fly well. Take offs are good, so we are talking landing....and the consistency. As I have said, I donít try to land when itís not right and will go round so thatís a positive, and practised every type of approach and landing, ironically full flap no wind the least, but I canít control the weather, and iris these conditions which if I kept throwing money and time at this would eventually maybe see me go solo. I have not had any crunching landings and stay on the cantreline. What I havenít got is 10000 hours so donít expect to hit a 5p piece every time, but can I get me and the aircraft down undamaged and safely....yes!

As people have said now at over £5k in, and lots of precious time invested itís a lot to give up, I am now totally demotivated and the last few weekends hoped for bad weather so that I donít have to go for my lesson.....hardly the right foundation to get confidence and improve. I have now cancelled and further lessons 😔

Thanks
    Sorry Dave, to answer your question, the instructor does not know what I am doing wrong to prevent consistency...I have asked numerous times, as you can imagine at least one a week