Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    One thing I do to prevent forgetting tools on my engine or plane is to only buy/use tools in bright colours (red handle, orange plastic...), something that I can easily distinguish from the rest with a quick sight... Still, human error can happen...

Cheers,

Josť Pascual

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpmasso For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (26-01-19), kawasakiinit (26-01-19)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well done Nigel for posting and thankfully all was OK as a result. It will be a pain spending money for a new prop blade but happy to hear your OK.

I do my own maintenance and checks. And I take my time doing pre-flight checks, checking the wing and trike separately. But accidents do happen and will always happen. People are often interrupted at airfields whilst doing pre-flight checks and as a result something can be unfortunately over looked or forgotten about. That happens in Spain, France, UK, USA and all over the world.

I once carried out all my pre-flight checks. Checked and double checked everything. Placed my Map Board, Helmet and Gloves in the back seat whilst I stood beside my Aircraft. All was secure, Brakes on, Throttle closed, Choke closed. I primed the engine, shouted clear prop, and stood by the Quantum and pull started the engine from starter rope on the pylon. All was OK. I put on my helmet, put my gloves on the dash in front of the windscreen and sat into the front seat. I put on my seat belts, secured the strap on my helmet and carried out all my pre-takeoff checks twice as the engine warmed. I was just flying locally and the airfield was quiet. I lined up on the runway and took off to practice a couple of circuits having not flown for a while. On my down wind leg I heard a weird sound from the engine and seen the revs drop and pick back up again to normal. It took me a few seconds to realise that it must have been the map board which was on the back seat whilst I was getting ready to go. I landed and carried out a full inspection. Thankfully I got away with it. I accidentally forgot to attach the map board to my legs as normal. It is now part of my pre-takeoff checks.
    It had nothing to do with an inspection system. It was just an oversight which should not have happened, but it did. I was very lucky that my aircraft, wing and prop were not damaged.

Happy flying everyone, here's to a safe and successful 2019 in the Skies.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Asgard (26-01-19), Gentreau (26-01-19), kawasakiinit (26-01-19), unwind-protect (04-02-19)

Thanks
    From Memory, Took off once with Pitot cover on, left my oil tank cap off once before an engine run, took cowl off AFTER a 1.5 hr flight only to find a screwdriver resting near the ignition modules.

I'm always suspicious of people who attest they never made a boo boo, the main thing is to learn from it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asgard For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (26-01-19), kawasakiinit (26-01-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    Cheers Dave. No what I'm saying is that IMO not enough UK pilots get their hands dirty by doing things on their own aircraft and as a result don't get into the habit of working systematically. And it's working systematically that helps to avoid this kind of problem. Once again, IMO the UK airworthiness system actively discourages pilots from doing so, whereas in France because there are no inspectors and no system of oversight, pilots are more likely to be 'hands on' and to fettle and maintain their aircraft themselves, with the potential benefits that I mention above.

With the greatest respect to everyone who has responded and commented in this thread, there really is no room in what we do for this very simple and basic kind of human error. It's one thing to miss a hairline crack in your prop but it's another thing entirely IMO to leave a spanner or other kind of heavy tool behind after doing a job that can potentially take your life.

I do understand what you're saying roger but regretfully humans are not and never will be faultless . It would be a much better world if we were.

Maybe a shadow board for tools is a good idea to glance over after work has been completed ?

Of course i'm perfect in every way but to be honest it's a curse ..
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kawasakiinit For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (26-01-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    With the greatest respect to everyone who has responded and commented in this thread, there really is no room in what we do for this very simple and basic kind of human error. It's one thing to miss a hairline crack in your prop but it's another thing entirely IMO to leave a spanner or other kind of heavy tool behind after doing a job that can potentially take your life.
    There isn't any room for mistakes but we all make them, even the greatest in any walk of life are not immune.

Like you, I work systemically and check all tools are back in the box, but this just reduces the likelihood of a mistake, rather than eliminates it. If I think that my methods make me immune, then by definition I become more vulnerable.

In the end, the more people confess to mistakes, the more likely we are to be reminded and to be able to avoid them. If the atmosphere for confessing to f*ck ups gets hostile, then everyone goes into denial.

There is no room in what we do for denial. It leads to mistakes.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randombloke For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (26-01-19), kawasakiinit (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordair View Post
    Only 1 blade is lucky and not a wing or engine ripped off.

why does everything go through the prop? You would think that it would be going at the same speed as the aircraft and just drop to the side..
    I forgot a wire-lock pliers once but it fell off on startup and I found it when I got back to the apron later
    airflow?

it always will.
    Skyranger G-PAWZ

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thearb For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (26-01-19)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
    From Memory, Took off once with Pitot cover on .......
    Seriously. Anybody not done that ?
    Funnily enough, it appeared a few days later on the pre-engine start checklist
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The best 3 things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and, a good bowel movement.
    A night-time aircraft-carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three simultaneously.
    Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by thearb View Post
    airflow?

it always will.
    It was more a rhetorical question but now that its mentioned, youd think a metal pliers wouldnt be subject to airflow pushing it back, not a huge effect anyway?
    Ive seen guys jumping from trikes and not getting sucked into the prop. But then it would probably bounce into it anyway. Like the toast always landing buttered side down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbvwlOEeZx4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordair View Post
    Ive seen guys jumping from trikes and not getting sucked into the prop. But then it would probably bounce into it anyway. Like the toast always landing buttered side down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbvwlOEeZx4
    That's crazy without cutting the engine...