Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My 582 Quantum had a digital fuel gauge on,27 litres at 6,800rpm on climb out
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to andy dixon For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (09-02-19)

Thanks
    I know the OP is about tuning to get 'best' results (depending on what 'best' is defined as) but you might find [this thread] in another place interesting in terms of obtaining best ground miles per litre into head winds with an existing set-up.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Airfield Ops Christopher Barker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barker View Post
    Yes. Perhaps a few short of that. So 85kg adult, say 30kg for 40l full fuel, youíre at microlight max.
    Although interestingly, Americans fly the type to a MTOW OF 325kg. I donít know whether thereís any structural variation - can check but rather doubt it - but if not, itís just as responsible to fly the type to that TOW in British skies. This side of the pond under SSDR rules, whilst the ANO limits the designed MTOW to 300kg, which it is, thereís no CoA or PtF to constrain the actual TOW. Unless I misunderstand?

Thanks
    Although interestingly, Americans fly the type to a MTOW OF 325kg. I don’t know whether there’s any structural variation - can check but rather doubt it - but if not, it’s just as responsible to fly the type to that TOW in British skies. This side of the pond under SSDR rules, whilst the ANO limits the designed MTOW to 300kg, which it is, there’s no CoA or PtF to constrain the actual TOW. Unless I misunderstand?

So are you suggesting that as its a 325 kg tow in America you propose that that is acceptable here , but you still want to call it ssdr ? Even though SSDR MTOW category aircraft here can only be MTOW of 300 KG!!
    Quantum 15 , 582
    G- MYTI

Airfield Ops Christopher Barker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveng View Post
    Even though SSDR MTOW category aircraft here can only be MTOW of 300 KG!!
    I think youíre agreeing with me, Keveng. The weight measurement that defines the aircraft as SSDR is its designed MTOW, which is unaffected if your aircraft happens to weigh more when it actually take off.

The Merlinís designed max take-off weight is 300kg, as reported to the CAA. That remains true if you fly it over that, so its de-regulated exemption still applies.

If it werenít deregulated, it would need a Permit to Fly, and that permit would require you to fly it within its designed MTOW.

But it is. So you donít. And it doesnít.

So youíre not breaking the law if you fly it over that weight.

And if youíre still taking off under the weight that its manufacturer recommends in a less restrictive jurisdiction, do you really think youíre behaving unsafely?

Last edited by Christopher Barker; 11-02-19 at 23:36 PM.

Thanks
    snip.......
    But it is. So you donít. And it doesnít.
    [COLOR=black]
    So youíre not breaking the law if you fly it over that weight.

But.. the CAA exemption states...
    Which aeroplanes may make use of the exemption?
    A: Any microlight aeroplane that: a) is designed to carry one person;b) has a maximum take-off mass of no more than:i) 300 kg for a single seat landplane (or 390 kg for a single seat landplane of which 51% was built by an amateur, or non-profit making association of amateurs, for their own purposes and without any commercial objective, in respect of which a Permit to Fly issued by the CAA was in force prior to 1 January 2003); orii) 315 kg for a single seat landplane equipped with an airframe mounted total recovery parachute system; oriii) 330 kg for a single seat amphibian or floatplane; and c) has a stall speed or minimum steady flight speed in the landing configuration not exceeding 35 knots calibrated airspeed
    Unquote

Thus it is the Max Take off Mass which is the criteria at any one time........ NOT any original designed MTOW.
    Thus if any SSDR MIcrolight takes off with a Max take off mass of 301Kg then the exemption in invalid and hence it must then have a Permit to fly (or C of A) which it does not have and thus that flight IS being made illegally.
    Interestingly if one had in flight refuelling once airborne at 299Kg one could possibly then fly at a higher mass... although somewhere along the line you may need to prove that the aircraft is "safe" at that mass in flight.

Possible loophole?
    Providing your aircraft when loaded for flight remains within the definition in the exemption the flight limitations are no longer mandatory...
    Unquote
    Is "loaded FOR flight" legally the same as "loaded IN flight"?
    Wally Hayward

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goldrush For This Useful Post:

Peter Twissell (12-02-19)

Thanks
    SSDR is constrained to 300kg Maximum Take Off Weight. There are a couple of allowances (reserve, floats) and a small caveat for some single seaters registered and certified between certain dates pre SSDR.

Other than than, for your Vanilla SSDR it needs to be at or under 300kg maximum. If you do not comply with this, it is not an SSDR and you are flying illegally.

Usual common sense applies, UK registered aircraft, etc...

As the person responsible for airworthiness in a SSDR, the very least expected of you is know the rules you fly it under.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Randombloke For This Useful Post:

Peter Twissell (12-02-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post

SSDR needs to be at or under 300kg maximum. If you do not comply with this, it is not an SSDR and you are flying illegally.

Usual common sense applies, UK registered aircraft, etc...

As the person responsible for airworthiness in a SSDR, the very least expected of you is know the rules you fly it under.
    Absolutely! And to be SSDR the aircraft must first be a microlight. If it doesn't meet the definition of microlight it cannot be SSDR.
    A single seat microlight must fly with less than 300kg MTOW. If you're over that you are not flying a microlight.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks

So you’re not breaking the law if you fly it over that weight.

And if you’re still taking off under the weight that its manufacturer recommends in a less restrictive jurisdiction, do you really think you’re behaving unsafely?

You are breaking the law - as explained above. It is, however, possible to argue that taking off at over the 300kg limit is not in itself unsafe. There are loads of examples in life where illegal does not necessarily mean unsafe - like driving along a completely empty motorway at 75mph (I've never done that, I hasten to add).
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    ........ like driving along a completely empty motorway at 75mph (I've never done that, I hasten to add).
    Of course not, if it's empty you might as well do 90 !!
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.