Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john murphy View Post
    My intention is to initiate responses from experienced and knowledgeable people to offer opinions and advice as to the possibility and viability of improving the performance output of the R582 in our aircraft.
    Now if you are such a person and have a contribution to make feel free to comment.
    My only contribution would be to suggest that the battery is changed out for a LiFePO4. This would save about 2-3kg and would allow more fuel to be carried. I'm researching LiFePO4 for my motorcycle, replacements have dropped to the same cost as a Lead-Acid AGM style battery. You will need a new charger/conditioner for your hangar if you use one.

3kg is close to 4 litres of fuel, that's about 20 minutes flying.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Steve
    I have tried the Varley Li-3 battery but during the first winter it was not as easy to use as the lead acid type. Before using it as a starting battery it needs a small load to get it warmed up which I failed to do and I flattened the battery beyond recovery. That was an expensive mistake. I also feel that the Li-3 is a tad small for the R582. At that time I was not prepared to pay the extra money to experiment with the larger lithium battery when lead acid is known to work.
    Let me know how you get on with your research and if the outcome is positive I may try the lithium battery again.
    John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john murphy View Post
    Steve
    I have tried the Varley Li-3 battery but during the first winter it was not as easy to use as the lead acid type. Before using it as a starting battery it needs a small load to get it warmed up which I failed to do and I flattened the battery beyond recovery. That was an expensive mistake. I also feel that the Li-3 is a tad small for the R582. At that time I was not prepared to pay the extra money to experiment with the larger lithium battery when lead acid is known to work.
    Let me know how you get on with your research and if the outcome is positive I may try the lithium battery again.
    John
    As John says Lifepo43 batteries do suffer from needing to "wake up" during very low/negative temperatures.
    I had a "bankrupt stock" Hein Gerick Lifepo4 5.5Ah battery on my 503 Shadow (with mag end starter) for some 3 years with no trouble at all, before I sold her.
    In such conditions, I found that the easiest way to "wake up the battery" was to press the starter button for about half a second.. it would crank to some point before TDC and stall.... release button and wait a few seconds... and the battery woke up and it started like a good un!. Incedentally, it would also start my old diesel tractor better than a 45AH lead acid car battery.
    Just beware when comparing batteries that for our purpose, Cold Cranking Amps rating is more important than the Ahr rating.
    Although most Lifepo4 manufacturers do not quote CCA in the same way because they may not have been checked at the standard 0 įF (?18 įC) the paticular battery I mentioned quotes Max continuous current as 300 Amps, which interpret as basically meaning the same.

Also anyone contemplating fitting a lithium to an early points ignition Rotax should bear in mind.. from the Earth x site..
    "Do not use any lithium battery in a vintage engine that was not originally designed for a battery, such as a Rotax 503 pull start."

Lighting coil output frequency according to "stratomaster" site...

Rotax 503 DCDI, 582 DCDI – 6 pulses per rev.
    Rotax points ignition – 2 pulses per rev.
    Similarly one fitted with the early Rotax regulator will need to change the regulator...
    in both cases far too much ripple/spikes

This from the Aero Lithium site amy help you decide which "size" lithium might suffice..
    4.5Ah for all ultralights.

8Ah for the following and similar ENGINES: Rotax, IO-360. IO-390, IO-470.

16Ah for the above, as well as: IO-540, IO-550, TIO-540, TIO-550.

24V, 16Ah for smaller turbine engines.

24V, 24Ah for bigger turbine engines.

For 24V/28V use two 12V batteries in series.

It is also adviseable to fit a voltmeter and charge on/off switch as any "overchargeing" tends to kill Lipos.. altrhough I never experienced this with mine
    Last edited by goldrush; 14-02-19 at 11:46 AM.
    Wally Hayward