Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8.33 radios

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    .........I was also led to believe that installed radios and transponders had to be signed off in France, but maybe not....
    That's correct, you need to apply for a LSA (Licence de Station d’Aéronef) which also requires a JAA Form 1 for the transponder if ftted.
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Yes, but the system is purely declarative - is only a paperwork exercise. Nobody as far as I'm aware 'inspects' or 'tests' the installation - you just have to make sure that what's on your paperwork matches the approved list n'est-ce pas?

You've only got to fly around for a few hours to conclude that there are a lot of very poor installations over here - in both avions and ULMs

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    Yes, but the system is purely declarative - is only a paperwork exercise.
    That's true if you only have a radio. Transponders however, have to be set-up and the installation signed-off by a certified technician.
    It's one of the few reasons for which La Rochelle will accept non-transponder traffic, if you tell them you are going to the service centre to have it calibrated and approved.

You can see the different requirements in sectons 3.1 and 3.2 of this document https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gou..._LSA_ULM_0.pdf
    Last edited by Gentreau; 04-03-19 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Link to document
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentreau For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (07-03-19)

Thanks
    Just received a bit of good news in the latest FFPLUM mag that arrived in my postbox this morning. Originally the discount on 8.33kHz radios available for French based pilots was a temporary arrangement and only available because the French guys griped that if the Brits were getting a discount on new kit, they wanted one too, and it finished several months ago.

Well, presumably because this being France, the uptake was probably only very small, my guess is that the powers that be were becoming worried that the changeover scheduled for end 2020 would just be ignored. So we've now been told that there will be a 20% discount on kit and installation of all approved 8.33kHz radios obtainable through a link on the DGAC's website from now (or when the link becomes live as it failed testing in February and is now scheduled for March) until December 31st 2020.

That's fair enough I think so having just sold my X-Air, I might treat myself to a snazzy new 8.33kHz panel mount. Whether I get it done before my planned UK trip at end Apr/early May I don't know, but it would certainly be nice.

The funke at 1100€ before the discount is the most keenly priced. Has anyone any experience of it? I've heard that it's OK but it would be nice to hear from someone who's actually fitted and used one.

Back to say just checked and the link is now up and running and covers kit that replaces an existing 25kHz installation, not just any new 8.33kHz radio. Anyway, that includes my Savannah that has an Icom A3FR with separate intercom. A panel mount will slot in and replace the intercom making for a much tidier install overall.
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 14-03-19 at 23:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Roger,

I had a Panel Mounted funke in my Skyranger when I had it a few years ago. It was a really nice piece of kit and great for touring. You could be on a channel and have the next channel pre-selected and when it came time to change channel it was just a button press. Easy to flick between the 2 or set the next channel up.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Roger, the Funke 8.33 is the standard radio fitted by Aeroservices in the Guepard and Super Guepard microlights, so it should be pretty good.
    I don't recall if our club machine has a Funke or a Becker, but one thing I find very useful, which it does have, is the Dual Watch facility.
    I reckon that is worth any extra you may have to pay for it as it allows you to pre-monitor your next frequency or even 121.5 if you want.
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I think that there are two models, the 'basic' which allows just a second channel preselect and a more expensive one that allows dual watch. I may be wrong as I haven't thoroughly investigated the differences. Quite honestly, the former would be adequate for my needs I think as I don't expect to be doing loads of touring in busy airspace with frequent changes of frequency.

No, I think I'm wrong. I'm checking the datasheets now but I think that there are 3 models and the differences are in the types of display (basic, LED, OLED)

Yup, all models are dual watch. The LED models also have the ability to record 10 seconds worth of the last radio call. I don't think that that would interest me particularly, so I'll be going for the F.U.N.K.E ATR833S, which is the basic model. And I'd like to try to get it in before my next planned UK trip if possible.

Thanks again for the received advice.
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 15-03-19 at 13:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    That's fair enough I think so having just sold my X-Air, I might treat myself to a snazzy new 8.33kHz panel mount. Whether I get it done before my planned UK trip at end Apr/early May I don't know, but it would certainly be nice.

The funke at 1100€ before the discount is the most keenly priced. Has anyone any experience of it? I've heard that it's OK but it would be nice to hear from someone who's actually fitted and used one.

Back to say just checked and the link is now up and running and covers kit that replaces an existing 25kHz installation, not just any new 8.33kHz radio. Anyway, that includes my Savannah that has an Icom A3FR with separate intercom. A panel mount will slot in and replace the intercom making for a much tidier install overall.
    Thanks to some theft of the French template we now have 6 hand held radios agreed for 8.33kHz installs in the UK, which saves a shed load of money over the cost of a panel mount. Fortunate enough to get the 20% EU grant at the very end of the period, when they were clearing out the applications, they found they'd not paid mine.

It might be worth considering the Trig because you mount the control part in the dash but can then put the actual unit itself somewhere else - worth it if you haven't got enough space behind the dash. The Funke now seems to offer the same, but it's not clear how the panel interfaces - is it the front panel removed or a second one purchased?

The Funke now comes with an OLED panel, but the price might be a shocker.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Hi Steve, the funke just slots into the single 57mm hole which is where my (nasty) French Alphatec intercom currently sits. My Icom is bolted onto the front bottom of the panel, so with the funke I can turn a horrible untidy install into a nice neat one, especially if I eventually make up a complete new panel front. I'll probably do that later on when I get a transponder. I have an 80mm electric bank indicator fitted as I think the former owner had aspirations to be an Airbus pilot (daft) and a 57mm revcounter. Usually the Sav has a 80mm revcounter so if I revert to that I can ditch the electric bank indicator and pop a transponder face unit into the newly vacated 57mm hole. There's plenty of space behind the panel for the box to hide in.

screen57.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 15-03-19 at 14:55 PM.

Thanks
    We have a funke zatr833s in LCKY, partly because of the price and partly because it was replacing an atr600 so fitting it just required sticking an adaptor board on the back and plugging it into the existing wiring. It's nice enough to use and it works well but I've not got much experience of anything else to compare it against.

Dual watch is occasionally useful but since it's time slicing it the audio quality isn't fantastic when it's doing that. I shouldn't have thought features like being able to play back the last received transmission are that useful, if it's something important like an ATC clearance by the time you've played it back again they'll be wondering if you heard it and you may as well have asked them to repeat it.