Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Twissell View Post
    I would suggest that it is not a good idea to rely on your confidence in the engine.
    Out of interest what should a pilo rely on if not their confidence in an engine?

To offer my 2 pennies on the topic.
    I bought a Quantum 582 and have never looked back.
    Some will say there is the extra bother of mixing the fuel, others will shout about TBO hours and the ongoing maintenance, all valid points, but I am yet to clock up more than 30 hours in one year (average ~25) so 300 hours is 10+ years flying. Others will boast at their 4-stroke fuel economy, but as others here have experienced, i too get 12l/hr endurance when in the cruise.

I recently flew into Old Warden, an 90minute flight time (from engine start to stop) and was followed in by a Quik, by chance he flew in from a neighbouring airfield 30 minutes in the wrong direction from mine, as we got chatting I asked how long it took him; 65 minutes.
    yes it showed he could go further in less time, but also means i log an extra hour in my book than he will by the end of the day. for hours building what more could you want?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
    Out of interest what should a pilo rely on if not their confidence in an engine?
    I would suggest a pilot should rely first on their ability to deal with the changing conditions they fly in (including the availability of power). After that, one relies on the integrity of the airframe, the function of the control systems and the primary instruments. The engine comes somewhere further down the list, below items whose failure is likely to cause damage to the airframe and / or occupants.
    G-BZNP Still not dead

Thanks
    i don't disagree with you

but i have confidence in my engine, if i didn't i'd find use for it as a paperweight...

i agree confidence in an engine can only go so far, but to have none would render the idea of taking part in aviation foolish