Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    Chapeau! Hat's off to the man who suggested carb rubbers.

After I'd finished stripping out my Savannah's panel, I thought Id take a quick look at the carb rubbers before leaving for home about twenty or so minutes ago. They both looked fine... until I wiggled the left hand carb and it almost came off in my hand. And it would have done if I'd kept on wiggling.

The rubber had split underneath the metal strap that goes around its body so there were no visual signs of any problems but when I wiggled the carb the part of the carb rubber around the carb inlet stub (it's actually a water heated inlet pipe on my Savannah) pulled out from under the metal strap revealing the split.

So I'm presuming that will be the problem. I ordered a new pair of rubbers at great cost (156€ inc. delivery) before I left for the airfield so I should have them by early next week. I'm relieved that this problem revealed itself before my UK flight rather than during it and I'm also relieved that my last flight in December went off without incident because I had a pal's granddaughter on board at the time.

Just shows you eh...
    Roger, did you check http://www.jbmindustries.com/912socket.html for carb rubbers.
    People seem to think they last longer than the standard Rotax parts ....
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Clive, I got a set for my old X-Air's 582 from there and they were fine but time's against me this time as I am now chasing windows to fly up to the UK. I've missed my first one this coming week-end but am still hoping to make the next the week after. So I wouldn't have got the US made ones in time and had to bite the bullet and buy Rotax ones from ULM Evasion. I found a slightly cheaper supplier but the saving was only a few euros and they didn't have contact number or address on their web site so I decided to walk on by this time because of the time factor.

John, interesting idea about starting on just one mag. Have to think about that one.

Thanks
    Thanks Roger. On reflection I think I have constructed that post not quite as clearly as I could. What I meant to say was that on the first start of the day I always use one magneto, mentally recording which one. Next time I will use the other one and so on. The reasoning is that when the magnetos fail, they won't start the engine although they'll run perfectly well when they warm up a bit from hot air circulating the cowling. This technique allows me to discover if ine has failed but it might take me as many as 2 cold starts to find that out. The engine won't run very sweetly on one magneto at all but once running, I switch the other magneto on and carry on as normal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Another technique which not everybody uses, is to do a mag test just before shutdown.
    The advantage is that, if you do find a fault, you may have time to fix it before the next flight, rather than abandoning that next flight at the outset ....
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Agreed. That doesn't show a magneto that died of cold since the last time you flew though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post
    Roger, did you check http://www.jbmindustries.com/912socket.html for carb rubbers.
    People seem to think they last longer than the standard Rotax parts ....
    Hi,

I second that, I once bought a set of rubber caps for my Bing 54 carbs that only lasted one year, so I looked for something of higher quality and I ended buying a new set from JBM. So far, I am very happy with them, still look like new.

Cheers,

José Pascual