Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rudder trim tab

Thanks
    I wouldn't get too obsessed about the flying characteristics of something like an Xair. They are very primitive and you shouldnt worry too much, providing they are pointing more or less in the right direction.

The skins are usually so loose - like the skin on one of those chinese dogs - that this can make a difference.

Just make sure that the nose is pointing roughly in the direction of your destination.

Thanks
    Doesn't hurt to make an effort to get an aircraft balanced for the flight mode where it spends most of its time though. Means it can fly itself without having to be constantly leaned on. Not so fatiguing.

The trim tab on my Thruster is clamped onto the trailing edge rather than riveted. It can be removed easily which is useful if the skins need to be taken off the frame; I don't end up with a rudder full of rivet ends.

Oh, and the idea of tensioning cables by twisting them? Do not do that. You'll put rotational stresses on the cables, their thimbles, the rudder horns, pedals and pulleys. Something is likely to wear out quickly if that's done.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sean Dougan For This Useful Post:

terryc (30-04-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    Joan, I have electric aileron trim in my Savannah and I dunno if it's just me, but somehow in use it never feels quite right. Intrinsically there's nothing wrong with it but there's just something slightly weird about the feel of it. I'd prefer it to be a rudder trim I think but I can't change it.
    Well, if push come to pernickety then aileron has a yaw effect, just as rudder has a roll effect (ex 4 in the UK syllabus), so you could argue for both. After all, they'd need adjusting every time the power setting is changed.

In my earlier post I asked about what power setting our OP flies S&L at - the aircraft's yaw trim sweet spot may be different to . It is often considered ideal, of course, to have a fixed yaw trim set up for cruise such that it has a tendency to turn one way at full power and the other at idle. That leads to my other question: the direction of a power-induced turn will depend on the direction of prop rotation, which itself is affected by which engine is fitted.

As for William's comment: yes, badly fitting skins will affect anything that flies as would miss-rigged controls. I once saw an x'air falcon which always turned because the flaps weren't properly aligned when retracted - the pilot had unsuccessfully tried to trim it out by adjusting the ailerons but all that meant was that the stick sat slightly offset (akin to Martin's comment about rudder offset).

So plenty to think about - how's your search for a solution going, Terry?

Hope it all helps
    Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Thanks
    Madambreakneck........bungees, but ok!!Had a box of spares and found a rudder trim tab!!

Thanks
    Aerial.......I did have a look in the build manual, it showed the rudder with the trim tab as an extra, if you need it!!!

Thanks
    Sorting out with different power settings. Its needed all the time. It has a D Motor with a Prince P-tip prop

Thanks
    Wot!! don't get obsessed!! I am glad you can fly for an hour with your leg pressing down on the rudder peddle. ''Something like an xair'', Primitive and shouldn't worry too much. With advice like that, I hope you don't mind, I will just forget it!! The skins on my craft are as tight as a drum thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    If you think about this suggestion you'll realise that it is nonsense - shortening one of the cables will change the position of the rudder pedals but it won't change the need to maintain a small deflection of the rudder into the airflow, and the only way you can do that is by providing a force to offset the rudder- either with your feet or a trimmer. That's what trimmers do.
    Good job that Randombloke didn'tneed to try this.

I said to take slack out, not to change the trim position of the rudder. It would, however, if you took the slack out asymmetrically, mean that the straight ahead position on the rudder pedals would go with a different position of the rudder, but yes, you'd still need to put some pressure on.

I've not seen an X-Air with a trimmer for the rudder that's cockpit adjustable, I'm sure they exist. As for the fixed trim tab, again they exist, but I had an X-Air Falcon that flew straight two up, maybe I was just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    Don't fiddle wih your rudder cables unless you're moving them both forwards or backwards by slightly lengthening or shortening them at the wire locked adjusters to allow for the length of your legs.
    Not sure the Falcon has this facility but will look next time I check it over. I assume yours was built to French spec?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    to be honest, most of the solutions are going to come from Martin!! he first noticed. will be fitting the trim tab, then adjustments after flying!!