Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just for clarification in case I've been misunderstood - I do not tell my students they shouldn't buy a two-stroke. Quite the opposite in fact!
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.

Thanks
    Antoni,
    I am absolutely certain that if you were anywhere near gliding distance to Buck House Gardens you would already need an extremely good story for being there in the first place.

I don't think the Police or the Aviation authorities would be in the slightest bit lenient with you under the circumstances.

Can you give us all one scenario where you would not be breaking the law by flying over the royal residence centre of London in a microlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    I almost got into trouble for saying that in the UK it is legal to land un-announced in Buck House gardens. But of course you would have to have an extremely good story for doing so if you don't want to be locked up in the Tower.

Never forget that that option exists because it might save your neck.

Plan to follow the rules. Risk the consequences if you've acted like a Berc - but get down safe.

[Apologise for off topic]
    Keith Nelson
    ( Actively looking for a microlight to buy ).

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Seriously off-topic, but a true story.

In the 1980s I worked on the Cellnet 1G network in London.
    We were having some antennas changed on the Hilton hotel, Park Lane, and the riggers were setting the azimuths using a tool that is basically a long rod with sights and a compass attached.
    Suddenly there's a shout of "Armed Police, don't move !"

Turns out that you can see into the back garden of Buck House from the roof of the Park-Lane Hilton and someone reported seeing a bloke with a 'rifle' up there !!!!

The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nelson View Post
    Antoni,
    I am absolutely certain that if you were anywhere near gliding distance to Buck House Gardens you would already need an extremely good story for being there in the first place.

I don't think the Police or the Aviation authorities would be in the slightest bit lenient with you under the circumstances.

Can you give us all one scenario where you would not be breaking the law by flying over the royal residence centre of London in a microlight?
    Looks a bit tricky to explain busting 2 Restricted areas, flying in Class-A TMA if above 2500' or the Class-D CTR is below ......

Buck-house-london.jpg
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Limited knowledge but 400 hours on a 582 and she has never missed a beat. Just done a full overhaul after 700 hours total with the assistance of my qualified (not obligatory here in France) mechanic friend/instructor, the barrels still have there cross hatching, crank, two pistons and water pump changed.
    In case anyone misconstrues Jetlag's statement, the same applies in the UK. You can completely rebuild the engine on a microlight as owner. The engine is regarded as non-safety critical in microlights, so doesn't even need to have a second inspection. 'The Book' - SIGMA - says that if the control systems (throttle, choke,etc) have been disconnected, a second inspection is required (by a 'qualified' person - who can be another pilot), but I'm not in agreement with that, even though I'd strongly recommend a second pair of eyes.

Thanks
    Seriously, you can strip and rebuild the engine but not disconnect and reconnect the throttle cable?? The engine is a non-safety item but the control cables are ... well ... I'll go to the foot of our stairs
    F-JRIB
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (15-05-19)

Thanks
    SIGMA was written by over-earnest people who believe that good practice should be mandatory and think that they should cover every eventuality to avoid liability issues. It's somewhat symptomatic of the problem that's widespread in the UK and not just for microlights.

It came about after the G-STYX episode which almost finished the BMAA off and I doubt that there's another tome that's anything like it anywhere in the world. If there is I'd be surprised (maybe in Australia!!)
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 15-05-19 at 20:06 PM.

Thanks
    SIGMA pre-dated G-STYX by a long way Roger. But you are correct, it's a major piece of ****-covering. As I said, I don't agree with the requirement and have said so whenever the subject is raised.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

Roger Mole (16-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanks for that reply Dave. STYX was about the time that I came onto the microlight scene (having started my involvement in LA in the late 60s) so I was a bit sketchy on the exact timings

Thanks
    I was involved in BMAA stuff around that time: STYX crash 2004, SIGMA first issue was, I believe, in 2007.

Prior to 2007 there was a different set of inspector rules about which I know nuttin', yer honner.

PS.
    I just checked, a succinct history is in the introduction to SIGMA v3 - on the BMAA web site.
    Til 044 Issue 3.0 SIGMA - Standard Inspection Guidelines for Microlight Aircraft

Please read that intro for its historical persepective before commenting further on the topic. Ta.
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 16-05-19 at 15:49 PM. Reason: PS and link added

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.