Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Great news, hope it works out

Thanks
    Seems that the Caernarfon guy has pulled out but a new bidder has come forward...

Thanks
    I'm left with the impression that you need a Paul Dewhurst or a Bill Brooks to get the approval side running.

Paul has told us some incredibly useful stuff. I think we need to go away and think about all he has said.

Given the numbers he has quoted, does anyone want to put those into a spreadsheet and do a business viability plan?

Does anyone think there is a viable business under the current situation?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nelson View Post
    Reading through this BB it seems the French ULM regulations are the most relaxed of the EU ultralight regulations? How do the other EU countries fare by comparison?
    I did read somewhere that Switzerland is not that ULM friendly which is a bit strange with a lot of France bordering Swiss soil.
    I lived in Switzerland for over 5 years, I started my homebuild project there as well. Yes you are correct about the floppy wings and 3 axis ML's. They also have the same philosophy towards Gyros. The swiss regulators dont accept CAA theory exams either which i found out during my GST, much to the amazement of the BAZL examiner. So we think the UK BMAA/CAA are tough !! The irish NMAI / ILAS are a good bunch of guys and they dont have commercial interest at heart like the UK counterparts. Working in the Medical industry and the regulatory standards involved, i am used to jumping through hoops etc, so i welcome the French attitude, the NMAI have a similar one to that as well. It is called common sense. As an example, i was interestied in fitting a wingfold system to my CFM Shadow, approached the BMAA for info (already had the info from NMAI) on the system. Yeah right dont bother, approvals on top of approvals. And this is for a system that only adds 2 kgs, to the empty weight exactly on the CG. Not too mention the tensile testing to be carried out along with a multitude of other tests including taxying test with the wings folded !!!. It seems that they didnt have any the information from years gone by about the wingfold system on record and to cover their arses, i would have to foot the bill so they had the information.

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, "this is what the UK pilots want"

Thanks
    Old memories of being able to save like hell for 6 months in 1988 and then being able to buy a brand new Flash 2A for 6k.
    It worked back then OK, simple minor mods,limited paperwork ect.
    Flew for 14 years on 2 strokes just fine ,then gave it up for a few years (mid life crisis) then came back to find that to keep up with the boys ,I had to spend 25k + on a trike.
    I could not save that in 6 months just to fly 30 mph faster !

Just my look on the sport in later years ,but I feel that progress for the sake of progress cut its own throat really and it seems that the governing powers that be don't want tiny one manned aircraft flitting about and any administration that they can put in our way to p***'s us off , they will ,so as we will all go away and take up push bike riding .

Thanks
    On the contrary bodyboy. It's easier now than ever to fly 'tiny, one-manned aircraft' and we have the BMAA and CAA to thank. A two-seater permit is just as easy to obtain as it was back in your day. Nothing's changed except you can do your own check flight - another plus. If you're serious, get out and buy a secondhand Flash 2A, Blade or Q for less than half your 1988 6K.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (30-06-19), Randombloke (01-07-19)

Thanks
    For what it's worth, 6k in 1988 is the equivalent of 16k today after you take into account inflation. Plenty of (secondhand) two seaters, and new single seaters available for that price, and the price/ performance will be far better!
    Flying a Quantum leap for Microlightkind!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unwind-protect View Post
    16k today after you take into account inflation.
    Although i don't disagree with the suggestion 16k gets a very capable Flexwing, saving 16k in 6 months is a little less likely, that is a little over 2500 a month to save - or having 32k "spare" a year to put away into savings.

I can't comment about people's wages, but given I am earning a reasonable wage for a Engineer in his 30s, I can't say i have 32k spare annually and if i did, i wouldn't be looking at Flexwing flying for my aviation kicks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
    I can't comment about people's wages, but given I am earning a reasonable wage for a Engineer in his 30s, I can't say i have 32k spare annually and if i did, i wouldn't be looking at Flexwing flying for my aviation kicks!
    This says it all, unfortunately.

Thanks
    I'd bet you would still love it and be up early to beat the thermals in your GTR or Revo!