Thread: Redlands

Thanks

Redlands

Only just found out /realised that Redlands near Swindon is to close later this year......... Where are the residents and their aircraft going to relocate to ? How many aircraft are affected ? I dont think too many locals ( residents of Swindon and surrounding area) will mourn the cessation of the Parachute club or is this relocating nearby ?

Thanks
    It’s closing in September. The parachute school is closing it’s doors, and from what I understand most of the based aircraft are moving to other strips nearby (Draycot Farm or Clench I recall from passing chat). It is a loss though - smashing little strip and easy access from west London.

Thanks
    I was a Student there at the then Clearprop! microlight school, now under new management as Cloudbase and was there last month for my 1 hour instructional PUT in the book.

Yes the airfield is closing in September. I have also heard Draycot and Clench are the favoured airfields.

Cloudbase is in talks about moving its Microlight school and the skydive centre is closing.
    the owner of the jump-plane has it paid off and it owes him nothing (I have heard its already been sold) and the jump centre will simply close with no relocation.

the reason? housing
    details can be found via the following link
    https://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov...MId=8145&Ver=4

it is a lovely strip and was far too cheap.
    no landing fees, yet had a flying school, jump plane and cafe open at weekends, a long, short and crosswind runway and a active microlight club there.
    I paid £80/month hangarage for my Quantum and got out last year when talks were getting closer to when not if and pay twice that now

a loss for the local community, but read enough around the subject there will be no love lost given the aircraft noise complaints.
    a boost for the other airfields that pilots move too....

Thanks
    Aircraft noise aside, that's a loss alright. It's a shame places like that have to go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysart View Post
    It's a shame places like that have to go.
    I disagree with the wording.

The case in question is a decision by the land owner (Diary farmer) to sell up.

yes there are arguments there is pressure from the Council as they want the land for housing, and a few noise complaints (which airfield doesn't) but the place was profitable (and charging market rates would be a nice earner).

Redlands doesn't "have to go" - simply a choice of the landowner to sell up the land

Thanks
    I know the farm owners personally. Given the general influx of new developments in the area, keeping it open long term would have been a long shot, as more and more complainants move closer to it, and given the offer the developer made, they’d have been mad to turn it down, so from a commercial point of view, it did have to go in my opinion. It doesn’t make the loss any less though.... I’ve had so many happy times there!
    Last edited by D-Flyer; 12-06-19 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
    ......the reason? housing
    details can be found via the following link
    https://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov...MId=8145&Ver=4
    So once again, thanks to Gordon Brown for making airfields available to developers
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    its an interesting one - based on the link shared and follow on information, its only the airfield which is being developed. Not the neighbouring fields.
    So meets neatly with the change in status to airfields, but odd that this is looked at but no other developments.

curiously there is an airfield to the north, just out of the circuit and although by far a quieter strip doesn't remove the problem entirely...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
    its an interesting one - based on the link shared and follow on information, its only the airfield which is being developed. Not the neighbouring fields.
    So meets neatly with the change in status to airfields, but odd that this is looked at but no other developments.

curiously there is an airfield to the north, just out of the circuit and although by far a quieter strip doesn't remove the problem entirely...

Airfield just to the North is
    Wanborough - Lotmead Farm

4 x Dh82 Tiger Moths and a couple of other light aircraft are based here. Surprised non of the microlight from Redlands have not moved in here.

Thanks
    more aircraft than I realised are based there!!