Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio calls

Thanks
    Hi Joan, no, what I'm saying is that when you start it's better to say what you want to in plain English. Who could then fail to understand? Far better to do that than stay silent because you don't want to make a fool of yourself. In time everyone, me included becomes more confident and as you do you learn and begin to copy those who you realise are more proficient than you are. Then you begin to use better terminolgy.

I read something the other day on another forum where someone was approaching to land at an airfield and there was clearly someone, from their calls, approaching from completely the wrong direction. The poster said that he was too embarrassed to say anything as he was only a low time pilot.

I said FGS you MUST say something otherwise all those poor souls who are flying non-radio (and there are still a few ) might have no idea what was going on with who knows what consequences. FAR better to communicate rather than keep quiet, for everyone's safety. Plenty of time to do it with elegance and panache later on, but for now just do it.

Sorry if that upsets a few of the stuffed shirts who are sticklers for formality la 1934 - we don't need pips on our shoulders to be safe, for ourselves and for others.

And who cares if someone who is evidently a less-experienced pilot takes a few seconds longer to say what they want to. Far better that than having the 'experienced' pilots that we all hear nattering away on Safetycom telling the world that they're leaving the circuit to the north and will be returning in 15 minutes ... and how are the kids, Fred?

BTW Joan, I've never been 'embittered'. Why should I be? I make no secret about having little respect for some of the people and the attitudes that I encountered in UK microlighting, some of whom in quite 'high' places and was quite happy to leave them behind when the opportunity arose. But 'embittered', never. I don't let little people upset me
    Last edited by Roger Mole; 15-06-19 at 14:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mole View Post
    ... I don't let little people upset me
    Oh good, I was worried I might have hurt your feelings

Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Thanks
    Joan, I have never regarded you as a 'little' person. More like one of the stalwarts of the UK microlight scene

Thanks
    Roger, roger. Out.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating.

Thanks
    When I used to fly near Cambridge (gliders) we would enjoy trying to be able to have the following exchange on the radio:
    "Where are you Martin?"
    " I'm over Over, over."
    Used to crack us up...

But seriously, Roger is sort of correct - there's no need to agonize over it , as long as your meaning is clear.
    But Roger is wrong to imply that correct phraseology doesn't matter. Learning the right way to do it helps enormously with confidence, not just on the radio, but more generally with your flying.
    It's not that difficult for goodness sake! Implying that it's so hard that you shouldn't try is just silly.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370
    Fixed wing instruction, examinations and revalidations in Norfolk.