Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    It's funny how few people really understand what SSDR means...
    Martin.... What is your interpretation of SSDR?

From what I understand is that DR = Deregulated ? to my mind that means " remove regulations or restrictions from. "

SSDR is by no means Deregulated, I have heard of instances where the CAA - LAA - BMAA have been consulted on SSDR applications, that is somewhat contradictory to the concept of what SSDR is set out to be.

Even deregulated microlights are regulated to a certain degree. If the LAA or BMAA chose to oppose any SSDR application, it doesn't actually give the applicant any redress to have their microlight in the SSDR category.
    Keith Nelson
    ( Actively looking for a microlight to buy ).

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Eh? There's plenty of Tanargs on the UK register. Quite nice (if you like flex wings .
    I think you'll find that they are imported into the UK to be sold for constructiuon as kits by Flylight. Someone over here who no longer flies used to operate Paul's old Tanarg brought back from the UK (as I understand).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nelson View Post
    Martin.... What is your interpretation of SSDR?

From what I understand is that DR = Deregulated ? to my mind that means " remove regulations or restrictions from. "

SSDR is by no means Deregulated, I have heard of instances where the CAA - LAA - BMAA have been consulted on SSDR applications, that is somewhat contradictory to the concept of what SSDR is set out to be.

Even deregulated microlights are regulated to a certain degree. If the LAA or BMAA chose to oppose any SSDR application, it doesn't actually give the applicant any redress to have their microlight in the SSDR category.
    Keith, you seem to be woefully misinformed. When the CAA receive an application from an owner to convert their aircraft to SSDR, the CAA ask the expert opinion of the BMAA or LAA if it will likely meet the requirements of MAUW, as a single seater, of 300kg, and also a stall speed 35kt or less. The only reason that the LAA or BMAA will have grounds to object is if these criteria are not met. There can be no "redress", as you call it, and this is not "contradictory to the concept", because the aircraft is, ipso facto, not an SSDR.

Once the aircraft is accepted by the CAA as an SSDR there are absolutely no airworthiness regulations for the owner to observe. However pilot regulations, and obeying the rules of the air, still apply.

Thanks
    Now I'm confused. Roger, you say the Air Creation family can be sold into the UK as kits and self build, to be flown as a two seater, but, not as a factory built machine ready to fly. Now, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and recon I've missed something, I must have.

If I'm not mistaken, then how can a machine, bought in kit form, put together by a.n.other in a garage be acceptable as a two seater when the same machine put together by professionals will not be considered "fit to fly".

Joan, I agree, it shouldn't just be France v GB, for my part I have no knowledge of microlighting outside France. There are others living and flying in other parts of the world, but, maybe to get them to comment we need to be a little less personal in our responses to their comments. If we are misinformed, and I certainly frequently am, forceful responses will only serve in making some reflect as to the wisdom of posting. I'm trying .... we need to be a little nicer to each other.

The tambourines and singing around the campfire will start immediately after the "agent provocateurs" have left the building.
    F-JRIB LF1751 Corme Ecluse

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Phil.

Thanks
    Phil, I think Adrian may be the right person to reply as he was once at the heart of it all within the BMAA.

Possibly Flylight went to the lengths of getting Section S approval for the Tanarg. When it comes to manufacturing however, as for the Skyranger, it's probably not then economic to get full manufacturing approval for them to sell them as completely assembled machines. Home-builts undergo a far less stringent inspection regime - just periodic sign-offs by an inspector during the construction process. However, the approval for the Tanarg would not extend to the whole of the Air Creation range - just the model in question.

I am not the expert on this however so may have got this wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Mole For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (12-07-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    ... Joan, I agree, it shouldn't just be France v GB, for my part I have no knowledge of microlighting outside France. There are others living and flying in other parts of the world, but, maybe to get them to comment we need to be a little less personal in our responses to their comments. If we are misinformed, and I certainly frequently am, forceful responses will only serve in making some reflect as to the wisdom of posting. I'm trying .... we need to be a little nicer to each other...
    Is an apology due? Sorry...

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Joan ... apology .. why ??? Nope, not for me .. but ... I can feel the warmth of your virtual hug ... and it's nice ... thank you

p.s.
    I missed a full stop and new sentence after "maybe get them to comment". That and the next sentence were meant to be seperate.

I never was any good at English .. now I'm crap at French too
    Last edited by jetlag; 12-07-19 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add P.s. comments

Phil.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (12-07-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    ... I can feel the warmth of your virtual hug ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

jetlag (12-07-19)

Thanks
    Flylight don’t build the kits, just an agent for import, Bobs was an ex demonstrator, I think two or three models wereapproved for armature building as there are a few Kiss and Skyper's on the register. I would say just as rigorously inspected as any factory built model. >
    ​Nick....

Thanks
    SSDR .... does not exist in France. ALL microlights irrespective of seating or weight require the pilot to have a licence of that category ie 1 of 6
    1: Paramotor
    2: Flexwing
    3. Fixed wing
    4. Gyrocopter
    5. Montgolfier - Hot air ballon type thingy
    6. Helicopter

phil

Phil.