Thanks

DH 88 Comet Racer 'Grosvenor House'

Hello,

I don't know if you're aware of it, but tomorrow (Saturday, 27th) the Comet 88 racer 'Grosvenor House' will be doing a display between 10am and 10.30am over the Mosquito museum, which is next to our airfield at London Colney. Apparently they've been given permission to fly as low as 200 ft over the museum, so I'm hoping to get some film of the Comet as it thunders along in parallel with our 05 runway at 200 ft to buzz the museum tomorrow morning, weather permitting that is. It's due to be wet underfoot by 10am, so here's hoping that it won't be raining during the display.

Of course, if there happen to be microlights on the ground by 9.45am tomorrow at LC then whoever arrives in them will get a good view of the action, and I'm sure there'll be someone there with a radio to welcome them to our humble little field. However, whoever does come in must be aware that all aircraft movements must stop by 9.45am, and not resume till after the display has finished and 'Grosvenor House' has returned to Old Warden.

So if anyone calls up after 9.45am requesting landing information they'll be told in fluent Anglo Saxon that LC is closed to all visiting traffic till after 11am at the earliest. You have been warned!

In case you don't know what a DH88 Comet Racer looks like, here's a picture.

DH 88 Comet Racer.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (27-07-19)

Thanks
    Oh, I forgot to say earlier, we use 129.830 as our radio, but I'll try to monitor the Safetycom frequency as well if I can, just in case anyone calls in on it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (27-07-19)

Thanks
    Hello,

Sad to say it was raining this morning when I got up, so I sat and watched to see if it would diminish by 10am. It didn't, and as the airfield is only 5 miles away, I didn't go because the rain would have been just as wet there as here. Instead I just sat and watched the morning being rained away while my garden slowly got greener and greener.

The rain has stopped now, but everything is very wet still, and I doubt if the people at Old Warden would have let their immaculate Comet Racer go out in the pouring rain. If they did then I missed it, but I suspect they'll reschedule the display for another day, given the appalling weather we had this morning.

Thanks
    I've just read an article on a local newspaper website that says the Comet display was called off yesterday due to the pilot's worries over bad weather. So none of us missed anything. Hopefully they'll reschedule the display for another day in the very near future.

Thanks
    Keep us posted Bob and try to take some video.

Thanks
    Many years ago at an airfield not too far far away we heard that the Spitfire pilot who had just landed for fuel had got a bollocking. He had failed to do a beat-up of the airfield.

Consequently, upon his departure we were treated to being the closest we'd ever been to a fast flying Spit - probably abt 100' up and 150' from. Maybe less. My friend was chatting wildly and holding up his phone for video and sound, as was everyone else. Couldn't stand it. I rapidly walked 15 yards ahead and out of earshot of them.

I just watched and listened.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    I'm with you on that one Antoni, it's much better to just soak up the sight and sound than it is to talk all over it.