Thread: Netherthorpe

Thanks

Netherthorpe

Flying from Watnall this afternoon on route back to Headon I decided to go in Netherthorpe for some lunch.
    Called up landed and went to sign in only to be told its strictly ppr only. I did make the point that I have flown in 50 times prior
    but I was told ppr only.
    I should have followed my first thought Sturgate for lunch. That's Netherthorpe off the list there loss not mine I ll take my lunch money else where.
    I did ask how you ppr from a flexi when you airborne but that fell on deaf ears.

Nigel
    Another day at the office

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nigel For This Useful Post:

kawasakiinit (25-08-19)

Thanks
    Netherthorpe has been PPR by phone for abt 10 years. In abt the last year or so they sudenly became very strict on it. Change of management?

It's the shortest licenced airfield in the UK and there have been a lot of accidents where that was a factor. They probably want to discuss it with some of the visitors. For a long time there had never been a four-seater based there which didn't get pranged. They sometimes close to visitors or close altogether for varios reasons, usually waterlogging.

I've heard stories of people well known to them and who'd beed based there for years being bollocked for not getting a PPR number. Very nice airfield tho.

Right, off to the local boot and then loading up for aircamping at the excellent Fir Park Wings & Wheels event at Market Rasen just north of Lincoln. It's short - don't go in a four-seater!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    Flying from Watnall this afternoon on route back to Headon I decided to go in Netherthorpe for some lunch.
    Called up landed and went to sign in only to be told its strictly ppr only. I did make the point that I have flown in 50 times prior
    but I was told ppr only.
    I should have followed my first thought Sturgate for lunch. That's Netherthorpe off the list there loss not mine I ll take my lunch money else where.
    I did ask how you ppr from a flexi when you airborne but that fell on deaf ears.

Nigel
    You should have told them that your engine coughed and you made a precautionary landing ......
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I fly out of Watnall been there today must have just missed you, I know netherthorpe is ppr but me and Brian from Watnall have flown into there before without ppr and had no bother and in a flexy , they must have got out of the wrong side of the bed or something, not good though should encourage people I think
    cheers john.

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    but I was told ppr only.

Nigel

snotty buggers , i wouldnt go either....
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Thanks
    It's a subject that has 2 sides to view from, but ultimately it is the Pilots responsibility to ascertain whether PPR by Telephone is required at their destination, there are usually very good reasons for such a requirement and UK airfields are not public parks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asgard For This Useful Post:

Antoni (26-08-19), Gentreau (26-08-19)

Thanks
    My point is I understand that it is ppr because it's a short runway and you need to be briefed prior to landing.I must have landed and taken off over 50 times I could if pushed land across the main runway so what's the point of ppr every time you fly in and how do you ppr if like me your in mid flight and decide your hungry

Nigel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nigel For This Useful Post:

kawasakiinit (07-09-19)

Thanks
    Or worse..........Iíve a slightly dodgy bladder,and when I "got to go" I really need to land within a few mins.....
    I once landed at a very well know yorkshire airfield and was told that next time "PPR or p#ss your self" as your bladder isnít our problem,

On the plus side....Headon is great for a pee....and you even get a cup of tea all for free....a very nice friendly airfield you have there Nigel.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

12. The Following User Says Thank You to andy dixon For This Useful Post:

kawasakiinit (07-09-19)